Valve releases 64-bit Half Life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh I've said it time and time again...64 bit instruction sets are thus far only useful in large number crunching enviroments where you're sending large chunks of data down processor pipelines and you can actually benefit from having wider registers

Unless you extra cache and memory to spare...you're not going to see much difference between 32 and 64 bit extensions except for the fact that the latter will clog up more system resources

Multiple threads are much more important at this stage, and the only neccesity that 64 bit registers have over 32 bit ones is memory address size...but that still won't be an issue for a few years to come

gaara said:
Meh I've said it time and time again...64 bit instruction sets are thus far only useful in large number crunching enviroments where you're sending large chunks of data down processor pipelines and you can actually benefit from having wider registers

Unless you extra cache and memory to spare...you're not going to see much difference between 32 and 64 bit extensions except for the fact that the latter will clog up more system resources

Multiple threads are much more important at this stage, and the only neccesity that 64 bit registers have over 32 bit ones is memory address size...but that still won't be an issue for a few years to come

I love you.:eek: :p

woot6600GT,
Sorry for a noob question but...i have been playing source for a little while now. i just started getting into computer games. My question is what is Beta SDK and what does it do for you??

Rook1e said:
woot6600GT,
Sorry for a noob question but...i have been playing source for a little while now. i just started getting into computer games. My question is what is Beta SDK and what does it do for you??

Are you interested in making maps/ mods for Source engine games? If so, PM me and I'll give you all the details.

ooo I'm addicted to mapping! it kills me that i cant launch it! i suppose SDK beta is the solution.

Is it the 64-bit update that has caused the textures, specular, and water to look so crappy all of a sudden? I mean, I can't play HL2 right now, it burns my eyes because the graphics are so screwed up. Everything is just so shiny its rediculous. Valve needs to get off their a**es and quit continually screwing over their customers.

i've seen a couple of benchmarks for 32bit vs 64bit and games in 64bit actually performed worse on dule core CPUs.

Not to mention Win 64x dosnt support software like Alcohol %120 and Deamon Tools.. i wont go near it untill it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom