Valve, good example of a company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Team Fortress 2

Can someone please tell me why they bother doing so many lovable updates to a 1.25 year old game? Why they add so much free DLC while other companies like EA seem to nickel and dime you for everything and leave games in total wreck? This isn't a thread to start any company wars ( although I highly doubt anyone will defend EA at this point ), but I mean come on. The icing on the cake was them refining the critical hit % to make the game more skill based, they didn't even have to do this change.

Valves post-launch game support seems so extraordinary in comparison to other companies and they are immensely successful. Why don't other game companies like EA ( and Ubisoft ) ever take up Valves good example and do the same? It really doesn't seem that hard to hire a team to do post-game support. Instead they seem more intent on adding more secuROM measures ( which fail and give them bad publicity ) while Valve doesn't seem to share the same piracy problem. The same goes for wide-screen support which Valve won an award for being a best supporter of. Blizzard is really the only other company I can think of that shares this model. Any comments?

Valve is private.
Valve has no corporate.
Valve has no specified positions/jobs.
Valve only employs around 150 people.
Valve is just not structured like any competent work environment.

Honestly...I think its just because everyone there just loves to death the work they do.

Valve is private.
Valve has no corporate.
Valve has no specified positions/jobs.
Valve only employs around 150 people.
Valve is just not structured like any competent work environment.

Honestly...I think its just because everyone there just loves to death the work they do.

all good points...except what do you mean it has no specified positions/jobs?

From what I've read and heard, Valve will have general jobs for people like coders and designers, but that's pretty much where the specification stops. If there's a job open someone will just go over and do it as long as its something he knows how to do. That's why in the credits at the end of games it just lists the names of people involved rather then their actual task because said task probably changed hands a number of times. So again...not a competent work place...but then again it seems like half their employees are Harvard and Yale drop outs...

Take Gabe Newell, he had very little to do with the actual designing of left4dead, but he was their primary play tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom