Underrated/Overrated or Unfairly reviewed games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Just thought this would be an interesting read, sorry if it's been done time and time again already.

Are there any games you personally think are rather good yet for some reason seem to have got mixed/bad reviews, maybe reviews which were a little unfair or unbalanced? Or vice versa where you think a game is a load of crap yet it seems to have gotten top marks in multiple reviews.

Underrated...

For me it's Universe at War(PC NOT 360 version). As an RTS it's very unique and the three races are so different it's like your playing three different RTS games. The fact it is pretty well balanced is a very good achievement IMO. It was let down by it's short and seemingly unfinished campaign(I was hoping it would mean they'd finish it in a second game..) I'll admit that, but I think it should have been praised more on it's graphics(especially for the giant customizable walkers) and the quality of the three races. I thought the AI was reasonably good too(novus AI did seem to "understand" the tactic of trying to use the virus against you by sending units which could infect early on, then retreating.)

Overrated....

I'm an RTS gamer really so it's all I'll comment on. Suprisingly I'll put Supreme Commander here....I'm sure most will disagree though.

I have a few issues with Supreme Commander. Firstly it's how taxing it is on a system. I have a Q6600 at 3ghz, 4gb ram and a HD4870. Now for the most part it plays well but a 6+player battle on a big map will slow it down a lot.(that's after installing a 3rd party thing to force SupCom to use 4 cores properly, before that it was a few fps worse.) Personally I think there must be some poor optization somewhere. I know the scale is large but graphically even on high it isn't all that impressive, very plain and simple textures, most units quite plain with not a lot of moving parts. When I play Dawn of War soul storm 8 players, hundreds of units pouring into the middle to fight, much better graphics and animations etc, I get no slow down at all. Yes their rather different games but I think it falls down on it's requirements.

Secondly I felt bar the Super Units the races were far too similar, TA did have the same problem I suppose but each race basically has the exact same units with different names and models, and choice of units also isn't amazing especially when T1 units become pretty much obsolete once people are at T2 and T2 has the same issue when people have got to T3(where there really is a lack of diverse units).

Finally the ending to it's campaign, especially Forged Alliance, was..kind of crappy tbh. I think more could have been done with it.

I'm sure people will totally disagree with the above though.

so folks....post your underrated or overrated games.

Gamespot and IGN gave grand theft Auto IV a 10. The only other games I've seen them do that too are MGS4 and Ocarina of time. There is no way in **** GTA IV is anywhere near up to par with those two games.

Over-rated: Crysis and Halo 3 (while I love the Halo series to death, people take this game to a whole new level)
Underrated: Idk :D

Overrated Games
- Any of the Final Fantasy games. Especailly FFVII. I just don't like the game play, especially the combat system.
- Crysis. Sure. It's good, the graphics are great. But I really don't think it was worth all the hype.
- World Of WarCraft. Just sick and tired of the people that just dribble on about that.

Overrated Games
- Any of the Final Fantasy games. Especailly FFVII. I just don't like the game play, especially the combat system.
- Crysis. Sure. It's good, the graphics are great. But I really don't think it was worth all the hype.
- World Of WarCraft. Just sick and tired of the people that just dribble on about that.

How could I forget WoW of all things?

But I thought an underrated game, Demon's Souls and Oblivion (for the PC, the mod potential is amazing!).

Ive always felt that some of the Neverwinter Knights games were underrated.

hmm, as for overrated, I have to say Halo games as well. The games are good, but definitely not what a lot of people make them out to be.

I don't think Oblivion is underrated, not because I think it's a bad game, but because I think everyone gives it top marks already!

Overrated: Sins of a Solar Empire. I bought it after several people here said it was awesome, played it for an hour or so, then deleted it and haven't touched it since.

Underrated: Mount & Blade. Simply awesome game, but not many know about it.

I don't think Oblivion is underrated, not because I think it's a bad game, but because I think everyone gives it top marks already!

Overrated: Sins of a Solar Empire. I bought it after several people here said it was awesome, played it for an hour or so, then deleted it and haven't touched it since.

Underrated: Mount & Blade. Simply awesome game, but not many know about it.

Actually I played that before, and I do not remember my overall opinion of it.

Underrated:
Crysis
Crysis Wars/Warhead
Far Cry 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl
Sins of a Solar Empire

Overrated
Left 4 Dead
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Counter Strike