Underrated/Overrated or Unfairly reviewed games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underrated:
Crysis
Crysis Wars/Warhead
Far Cry 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl
Sins of a Solar Empire

Overrated
Left 4 Dead
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Counter Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3
Modern Warfare 2

Far Cry and the Crysis series, are very popular, so how are they underrated? (Not trying to be rude, just asking an actual question, because I see these posted quite a bit.)

MW2 was a definite overrated game... Game play was great, but single player lacked, majorly. I know it was geared more towards multiplayer, but still... I haven't had the chance to play TF2, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. L4D was definitely overrated in my book, only fun if you have 3 friends, which I don't have. :p

Overrated:
Left 4 Dead
Assassins Creed
Crysis
Oblivion
Halo 2
All GTA's

Underrated:
Morrowind (Oblivion but ten times better. *Not in graphics*)
Borderlands!
Tons more...

overrated: MW2 (PC), Halo 3 (ODST too).
Underrated: Plants Vs Zombies, X3 terran conflict, crysis :D

I don't see how you can say MW2 is overrated just on PC. If you look at it from a review site standpoint, then it should get the exact same rating as the console versions because it plays exactly the same and uses the same online system. If you are looking at it from a perspective of what people think, then how is it overrated in this sense either? Everyone is like "BOOO!!! No dedis!!!"

I don't see how you can say MW2 is overrated just on PC. If you look at it from a review site standpoint, then it should get the exact same rating as the console versions because it plays exactly the same and uses the same online system. If you are looking at it from a perspective of what people think, then how is it overrated in this sense either? Everyone is like "BOOO!!! No dedis!!!"

That's probably the reasoning behind that. Everyone that wanted to get it for PC thinks they should have had the special privileges, to get dedicated servers. It was blown WAY out of proportion, even on this site...

Yeah, r u agreeing with me that you can't say it is overrated just on pc; I'm not sure.

The Elder Scrolls series is a good example as I find Morrowind to be underrated and Oblivion to be overrated. Morrowind is such a superior RPG to Oblivion in every aspect besides graphics. Darkfall is a very underrated MMO as a lot of reviews or criticism to it are gamers that are outside of Darkfall's target audience which is the very competitive PvP RPG gamers, which is the direct opposite of the broader audience that games like WoW cater to. WoW is the most overrated RPG in my book. It has such a shallow depth in just about every aspect of what an MMO is.

For shooters I have to say Bioshock is the most overrated. The only thing Bioshock has going is the interesting environment based on the philosophy of a seemingly insane man, but even this gets tiring. The gameplay is really poor, from the weapons to the enemies, etc. Very rarely will I quit a singleplayer shooter after buying it but honestly I just couldn't muster the steam to finish this game. The most underrated shooter has to be STALKER. Being a PC only title by a fairly unknown developer didn't give much of a blip on the industry's radar but even though there were many bugs in the original product it was a very nice title. CoD4 and MW2 are both overrated shooters, now I say that but I still enjoy them. They're good titles but they changed so much since the first 2 I don't know why they still use the Call of Duty title. Halo 2 and Halo 3 are overrated, they are still good games but I think the reasons why it gets so much attention is because console kids were able to experience what the PC community has been embracing for years before they were released.

For RTS I would have to say Supreme Commander to be very overrated. There just seems to be so much wrong with this title, and I think many people don't notice it is because they are buried by the scale of the game. I wouldn't call Company of Heroes as underrated since I have yet to see any real criticism to this game but I feel this game deserves more attention. Sins of a Solar Empire has really good things but also really bad things as well, so I wouldn't call it either overrated or underrated.

For RTS I would have to say Supreme Commander to be very overrated. There just seems to be so much wrong with this title, and I think many people don't notice it is because they are buried by the scale of the game.

Yep I agree. I think it's rather poorly optimized, I know a lot is going on at once but I still feel it could run better, their saying they've worked to improve it's frame-rate on more mainstream systems then only being playable on extreme rigs in Supreme Commander 2 but we'll see. The campaigns story sucked, the graphics are poor even on high IMO, especially textures and models, far too plain and blocky. As I said in my first post DOW may have been on a smaller scale but the detail was fantastic, an 8 player game with armies crashing in the middle didn't give my rig any slow down, yet 4 players on SupCom even when a lot isn't going on isn't smooth.

Supcom ran fine on my old rig, and it could barely run cod. I guess I was playing both on low at a low res though. At the time, it was too complicated for me. I just could never get a strat down. I suppose it didn't help that I was addicted to bfme2 at the time. I just couldn't get into other rts games for like 2 full years because of that game lol. It was sooo good. After I got bored of it, there were like no new rts games. I played dow2 for awhile, but it just didn't do it for me in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom