Thoughts on Nvidia's new GT 900 gaming series?

Druid

Fully Optimized
Idk about you guys, but just lol. I wasn't expecting much, but I am lawl. The 780 TI beats the 980 in benchmarks in some games, albeit a minority. The power savings is impressive, but lol. I can't believe they thought this was worth skipping the 800 naming convention for.

Thoughts? What are you predictions for their next true series? One year from now?

They skipped 800 because mobile GPUs were already using it just like they skipped 300 because OEMs were using that naming scheme.

980 and 970 aren't bust, they fit in perfectly. GM204 is 2x that of GK104 with less power consumption. THe 980 at 1080p give or take is 6% faster than 780ti for a cheaper price point, and can be up to 10% faster at 4k due to the larger frame buffer. The 970 is under the 780ti and over the AMD competition for a 330 dollar price tag. What more could you want from a MID range GPU?

Edit: It's also something to note that this is a refresh.

Last edited:
Who actually tries to game in 4k? The minority that will put out that kind of money is soo small, it doesn't even matter. 4k not really gonna matter for at least two more gens. Probs after the gen after the current, 4k is all upgrading will get you. I feel like devs aren't gonna pump that much more power out of the current consoles, and that will slow it back down for pc.

Newegg has a 780 ti for $560, so saving $10. And yeah, it uses less power. So like I said before, they brought out new card with less power draw for the same performance (actually 6% more technically but doesn't really make a difference).

Nvidia is targeting 680 owners with this (980). And the thing is, I bet a lot of them will upgrade too. I just el oh el at this. My setup is equivalent to 560-570ish (not no dx 11 support!), and even I am not gonna go for this. Looks like it is ps4 master race for at least the next year for me!

/rant

I just sold my 770 4gig card for $300, Some of the benches I've seen is putting the 970 (I think it was the OC edition anyway but still)just under the 780TI at 1920x1080 which is what I use, so the higher mid range card for $330 getting close to the same performance as there much more expensive 700 series card, I have it on Auto notify when it comes in stock and since I got $300 for my 770 it's a $30 upgrade with considerable performance increase over the 770. I'm impressed. They claim they can handle 4K but would personally wait to see some 4K benchmarks before I invest that much into a 4K monitor.

Dauntae
One of the benchmark threads
http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/6.html

Last edited:
For years the gpu market has turned into an even more despicable monolopy i feel your pain... I'm similar except i'm getting and xbox one to spark my halo flame :]

Who actually tries to game in 4k? The minority that will put out that kind of money is soo small, it doesn't even matter. 4k not really gonna matter for at least two more gens. Probs after the gen after the current, 4k is all upgrading will get you. I feel like devs aren't gonna pump that much more power out of the current consoles, and that will slow it back down for pc.

Newegg has a 780 ti for $560, so saving $10. And yeah, it uses less power. So like I said before, they brought out new card with less power draw for the same performance (actually 6% more technically but doesn't really make a difference).

Nvidia is targeting 680 owners with this (980). And the thing is, I bet a lot of them will upgrade too. I just el oh el at this. My setup is equivalent to 560-570ish (not no dx 11 support!), and even I am not gonna go for this. Looks like it is ps4 master race for at least the next year for me!

/rant
Well yea, that's exactly the point. I have a 680 and I'm looking at a 970 to tide me over. 780ti performance for 330 bucks is right up my alley. GM204 is a midrange chip and the performance chip would be GM210 which we won't see until at least next year. They are holding it to trump AMD's competition which would be the 390x.

One thing you're missing though is lower TDP with a superior cooling solution makes this chip an OC monster. OC to OC performance the 980 still will reign supreme. Some can do 1500 on air which gives a considerable gain over 780ti, again for being a midrange chip.

Sure 4k is irrelevant but Maxwell supports DSR which is an officially supported form of downsampling which a 780ti can't do. Even guys like myself downsample so the extra framebuffer and bandwidth comes in handy for a sharper image.

I just sold my 770 4gig card for $300, Some of the benches I've seen is putting the 970 (I think it was the OC edition anyway but still)just under the 780TI at 1920x1080 which is what I use, so the higher mid range card for $330 getting close to the same performance as there much more expensive 700 series card, I have it on Auto notify when it comes in stock and since I got $300 for my 770 it's a $30 upgrade with considerable performance increase over the 770. I'm impressed. They claim they can handle 4K but would personally wait to see some 4K benchmarks before I invest that much into a 4K monitor.

Dauntae
There are plenty of 4k benches out there. One such being right here.

perfrel_3840.gif

For years the gpu market has turned into an even more despicable monolopy i feel your pain... I'm similar except i'm getting and xbox one to spark my halo flame :]
Monopoly? No. Price gouge? To an extent, but pricing has practically been the same for about 10 years even with inflation compensation. There are some people who hold on for dear life to something they spent a lot of money on not realizing exactly how far behind in performance they really are.

There are some people who hold on for dear life to something they spent a lot of money on not realizing exactly how far behind in performance they really are.

This is me. I'm very aware that my stuff is old as phuck, but there isn't anything coming out that I'm currently aware of that I must play on pc until bf5 (assuming), next year, so I don't have a reason to spend $330 for X amount of power now, when I can spend $330 for X + Y power next year. Just got a ps4 and might as well put it to good use.

If you have nothing you want to play that makes more sense than some people I personally know. I was merely speaking in general.

Battlefield franchise can kiss my ass after 4.

Back
Top Bottom