Thoughts on HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my collectors edition this morning. Can not wait until I get home to install it.

But at least there XL T-Shirt Fits me.
I am in the office wearing it now.

Best 1st person shoot em up ever.....i think so!!!

Its just simply amazing. i have loads of screenies that i have taken which ill post when i get home for ya guys.

OH yeh....im back:D

beedubaya said:
I haven't finished it yet, but it can't be as bad as Far Cry's ending.

The ending portion is AWESOME. When you get there and use your "new" weapon you'll see.

But the ending of the story in HL2 is what disappoints people because it is a Matrix-like ending leaving too many gaps and holes unanswered. But in all honesty people FORGET that HL2 is the middle of a trilogy. It's SUPPOSE to leave gaps in preparation for another sequel that will climax it.

Yeah, well, tough beans on waiting for HL3. Valve ain't even thinking about it much (if at all). They're fooling around with some new secret project right now, not to mention the fact that they're totally screwed up with all the support and modding for HL2 that's firing up.

Hopefully over Thanksgiving I'll get a chance to play it through normally

HL2 $#!+ all over D3

Playied it for 4 hours last night.

This game kicks ass. It was well worth the money I spent .

The problem with this game is that the screen shots that they used in the COLLECTORS ED PRIMA BOOK does not do the game justice. One the way home, I was looking at the picture of the some of the character, and i am thinking "Oh-kay.....". But when i finally got this game installed, that shot of G-Man just blew me at way. And same with the rest of cast.
HL2 has raised the standards for FPS gaming. I do look forward to see what will be coming out next year.
I do look forward to playing HL SOURCE. I am glad that they did remaster the orginal.

The good news is that the new HL2 Engine only makes me feel motion sick after a few hours of play. But it beats the fits that it was giving me after 15 minutes in the original HL engine.

ShoobieRat said:
Yeah, well, tough beans on waiting for HL3. Valve ain't even thinking about it much (if at all). They're fooling around with some new secret project right now, not to mention the fact that they're totally screwed up with all the support and modding for HL2 that's firing up.

Hopefully over Thanksgiving I'll get a chance to play it through normally

HL3 is coming out but I doubt it will take as long. From Gabe's tone he definitely doesn't want to go another 6 years. But with Source now fully operation they can just modify it like how they modified the Quake engine for HL2. Remember it took them something like 4 years to fine tune the Source engine.

HL3 won't take that long if it is built on a modified or even current Source engine.

Obviously they're not thinking about it NOW. They need a break and their secret project is probably TFC2 which has been due since 1999.

Overall i love the game but..

Whilst the graphics are very good they're too static. ie you can hear the wind howling yet nothing moves, no grass swaying etc.
Sorry but they ain't a patch on FarCry imo, nowhere near as expansive or lush and vivid.
Also the models themselves, whilst good they ain't a patch on Doom3's. Can't believe some of you are saying they are?!? Apart from Gman's at the very start the facial expressions are nothing special atall!

The loading times are a pain at times. Too long and frequent. Certain places are as bad as Postal 2 in this respect.

The cutscenes are far too long and boring at times, i just wanna get on with it!! LOL

No option to turn off weapon auto switch! grrr

The crossbow is buggy.

In the parts of game where u have a team with you they constantly get in the way! Get outa my way ffs!

Some of the music is dreadful and doesn't suit the game atall.

Um... thats about it i think hehe

Sorry but i was more impressed when i played FarCry the first time!

An 18 hours game has to build up story, or it would be a repetative nonstop shooter like doom3. Depending on what computer you own, the thigns you wrote, I have had no problems with. My loading takes 15 seconds max. My Crossbow is nothing but godly (no bugs). It may not be as lush and jungle'ish like farcry. But it is extremely expansive.

I have been waiting for this game for awile and I think most of you have too. The physics are amazing. I remember *quick story*. I was fighting two Combine helicopters, and at the same time trying to flush out enemy fire from a humangous Bunker placed high in air. So I shot my rocket launcher into the bunker, and I witnessed two guys blast through the windows, and ONE of the combine actually hitting the helicopter while it was swooping down. These are the kind of things that amaze me. Or how about every fight is different each time you play. I agree some of the music is lame but in my opinion it does fit with the situation. In my opinion the Gravity Gun was all it took to make Farcry not look so good.

In my opinion Farcry was also a really fun game. But how I differ is when I played it for the first time, I felt I was playing against the toy actors in "Small Soldiers." if everyone ever saw that awful movie 5 years ago. .. And on a second note, Farcry's multiplayer is...not so good.

Doom 3 does have the better "lighting", but to me...I coudln't care less. Half-Life 2 has exactly all it needs. Doom3 in the begining was pretty scary and sweet. Although towards the middle of the game it was same thing over and over. In Half LIfe 2 they give the best of everything from every game. So when you enter Ravenholm City you get the Doom3 Portion. But just enough of it so it stays creepy and doesn't get old.

-Having being able to drive every kind of vehicle puts the best of Operation Flashpoint into this game.
-Having very smart teammates that actually "help you" puts the best of Call of Duty into this game but better.

There are a bunch of "mini" bosses at the end of each stage. And intead of Doom, where you just shoot shoot shoot, in this game there are plenty of different ways to take the boss down. Whether it be by constant fire, or setting traps.

Just like PC gamer, I too say "...The best game ever made."

Honestly, as I've said before, I believe the engines of Doom 3 and even Far Cry are more technologically advanced. However, Valve did way more with what they had, and it overall resulted in a much better game. Keep in mind this engine is delayed, so its actually a 2003 game. Just think how these graphics would have blown everybody away back in 2003 when the Quake 3 engine was still widely used.

Well, I have encoutered some areas of the game where is easily surpasses Far Cry and Doom 3. Doom 3 had excellent lighting, Far Cry had AWESOME bump mapping, HL2 has it's weaknesses but overall I think the engine is so much better than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom