Tech Forums WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wire networking is always faster than wifi. There is a latency issue with wifi that can't be overcome be increasing the theoretical max bandwidth. Even wireless N in my experience is slower than good ole 100mbit ethernet even tho N is 300mbps or so.

Cat5e is pretty cheap. Just go and by yourself a cable at radioshack and drop it through the wall to the room where you router is.

I think the vent server is still going..

Yes, until about a week before December.

If ya'll want to try again for another date, I'll leave the vent open but I don't think I'm going to pay for it again. It's $10, so if ya'll want to pitch in a buck or two towards an attempt at another event, then I'll leave it up.

Wire networking is always faster than wifi. There is a latency issue with wifi that can't be overcome be increasing the theoretical max bandwidth. Even wireless N in my experience is slower than good ole 100mbit ethernet even tho N is 300mbps or so.

Cat5e is pretty cheap. Just go and by yourself a cable at radioshack and drop it through the wall to the room where you router is.

Well, can I get my internet going fast enough to make it worth the trouble of installing cat5e? I mean, if I used a powerline adapter, I could get 200 mbps. Can cable internet really benefit from a better connection line than that?

yes you can benefit. The problem with WiFi isn't throughput, its latency. All wireless protocols have a measurable amount of latency and it tends to be longer than their weird brethren. Your bandwidth over the net wont increase but the latency will be much lowered and that will help your ping immensely. Also ethernet is much better for network file transfers than wifi if you have a home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom