Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ( to many to list)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
It seems there is much interest in organizing and running a dedicated server for playing numerous games with the community, therefore we shall try and organize something

First thing is figuring out what sort of games people want to play...I currently have a small machine I can donate as a dedicated server and based on what I collected from the other topic as well as my own suggestions games that would be ideal for it:

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (Free)
Team Fortress Classic
Counterstrike 1.6
Natural Selection
Half Life Deathmatch

To give you an idea the machine I currently have is:

900MHz Duron
256MB RAM
Intergrated Video

The biggest issue with me running a dedicated server is the fact that I only have 256K Cable connection that is shared with a few other people on a network, therefore I think I'd have to limit the server to 10 slots and even then I don't know how well it would operate

Other games that have thusfar been suggested that I cannot host 24/7:

Counterstrike Source
Half Life 2 Deathmatch
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 2
Americas Army (Free)

It would probably take about $300 to get a decent dedicated server up and running with a 3000+, cheap s939 board, 1GB memory and an FX or Radeon 9000 card that would be able to handle every up there except maybe BF2 fairly good

That said, I can temporarily host any game during a specific timeslot for a few hours using the current machine I own...although like I said the big thing holding me back is my internet connection

Please post your thoughts and ideas and I will pass this on for administrative review...if you have any other ideas for games please post them and I will add them

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory because it's free, almost any computer can handle it. This way anybody can join so it's easier to get enough players. It also requires good team play.

"EG Darkwatchmen..."

You don't need to buy a new $300 system if you still have a narrow connection. It isn't going to make that much of a difference. A 500mhz Celeron with win2000 would have done you real nice. ;) :cool:

Great idea man. But 256 KB/s is pushing it...... We can run some trials and see how it goes.

I've set up a test counterstrike server just now, haven't really configured anything but I wanna see what the ping is like

IP Address: 69.192.213.86

Silly me...I wasn't even paying attention to what I was pasting and I quickly tested the IP I copied and it worked...updated that now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom