Supreme Commander, how to improve FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Right well I know some people complain SupComs wasn't coded all that well anyway, being a massive resource hog when other much better games(graphics wise) run more smoothly.

However I was wondering what you guys think is the most likely cause of the slow down I get when I play on the large maps or have hundreds of units fighting at the same time. If you don't know it's a large-scale RTS game.

My specs are as follows:

Q6600 Oc'd to 3ghz
HD4870 512mb
2x2Gb PC6400 corsair ram, the timings are 4-4-4-12 I believe.

I don't THINK it's ram because even when the frame rate drops to like 8(which it does when battles get large and it ****es me off) my system isn't using more then 2.7gb of the ram according to task manager. Suppose the program might have a limit on how much ram it can use though.

When I zoom right out or right in on a map it runs smoothly even when there's a lot of stuff on a HUGE map. It's when im about halfway zoomed in so you can see tanks not just icons like at full zoom out and you can see a large area rather then being zoomed in right on one building.

if anyone has any ideas about whether it's the CPU, GPU or RAM that would need improving(obviously everything could be improved but I mean the main factor in the slow down) that would be helpful.

P.S. wasn't sure whether to put this here or PC gaming, but I thought since I'm asking about hardware I'd put it here.

sup commander can take advantage of all cores. To be honest, I don't know what your problem would be. I max it out at 60fps constant :\. I have the gtx 260 which is the nvidia = to your card. I know my CPU is better, and RAM better...but still you shouldn't get down to 8fps.

Drivers up to date? Try overclocking more...those are the only suggestions i have

Shouldn't this be in PC games section?

Anyway...kill some background processes, update drivers, patch the game, and lower settings if you have to. Your CPU and GPU should be fine to run that game. More RAM might help, but I think that game is more CPU intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom