Steam....way too expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I've been around several forums and lots of people are complaining, even many established and well-respected EU gaming magazines....

I like steam. I've used it for a few years. I've never had many issues with steam. I don't mind digital copies and I don't see why they should cost less. You are buying the game right? Not the box, packaging, manuals, etc.... How many people read game manuals? Not me...

Steam prices are mostly same as retail. I really like how steam often has really good promotions and great sales.

All that stuff you mentioned is called over head. It's the reason why Steam games SHOULD be cheaper. There is less over head. They don't have to pay printers to print manuals, the plastic case, artwork, shipping, etc.

This is the #1 reason why internet purchases should and usually are cheaper. However that isn't the case every where.

I don't think that it should really be cheaper at all. Nobody is stopping you from going to a store and buying the game you want. The only reason people don't do that is because it takes time and effort. It's more convenient to just get it sent right to you. Convenience is a value, just like a game box/manual. It also comes out cheaper for me because I don't have to pay taxes on Steam (last time I checked), but I do have to pay an 8.7% tax when I go to somewhere here in NY like a Gamestop. So a 50 dollar game comes out close to 54 bucks.

And also mentioned as before, Steam puts up incredible deals on holidays and every weekend. Back in December I got COD4, Bioshock, and Red Orchestra for like 45 bucks total on Steam, which saved me probably 30 bucks as compared to Gamestop.

As for the Euro being equal to a dollar on Steam, I will agree that that is kind of ridiculous. I have some European friends that usually just send some money to me via paypal to buy the game for them as a gift.

That's exactly why it should be cheaper; because they don't have to ship out any physical media...

Yea, I understand that point. It's a very good one.

But you also must consider that when you purchase a digital copy of a game, "like on steam" you also get automatic updates or manual updates without having to search around the web for them. You also get a download service for the games also. Example: reformatting or building a new PC - you can re-download them and install them. No worrying about damaged or lost disks.

You also get to use all of the features that steam offers like friends lists, achievements and community.

Ethan has a point with the convenience factor. That's why a gallon of milk costs me $4 at 7-11, but only $2.50 at the supermarket.

I don't necessarily think the games should be cheaper, but the prices should be equal across currencies. That is pretty common practice in ecommerce.

To be perfectly honest, I'd be happy if the prices were the same as in the different European retailers / e-tailers, although it seems logical to, regardless of convenience, notch the prices down a bit since the savings that Steam makes on handling, storage, shipping, boxing, manuals, etc., should be reflected on the product.

It's the same with Canada. Steam is more expensive than buying a retail copy here lol. Steam's selling games at 49.99 USD, works out to 61.78CAD.

Even figuring in 15% tax I'd pay at the store, and gas to get there, it'd still be cheaper to drive 10miles and pick it up lol.

I can't remember if steam charges me tax or not. I haven't wasted money on a new game since FC2. Big mistake haha.

If you think about it, Valve is making off like bandits because of steam. Literally lol they're crooks.

But I'm a lazy person by nature so I don't let it bug me too much. I like the service, and valve's games.. So whatever. If overcharging me lets them release more masterpieces like HL2, Portal, and the like, then they can have my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom