Steam servers down- Huge windstorm hits Washington; over 1,000,000 without power

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfc469

Daemon Poster
Windstorm wreaks havoc on Washington; one million people without power
The Associated Press recaps the latest top news:

A one-two punch of howling windstorms and heavy rains left at least three people dead and more than 1 million homes and businesses without power across Western Washington early Friday.

One woman died after being trapped in the flooded basement of her home, while falling trees killed two others.

The Evergreen Point floating bridge across Lake Washington east of Seattle remained closed early Friday and numerous other highways were blocked because of high water or windblown trees. The Hood Canal floating bridge and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge were reopened early Friday after being closed Thursday evening.

That's like a sixth of the state's population affected by outages. When it comes to regional weather, we sure are going to be happy to see the end of 2006. It's been wacky, insane, and treacherous.

Many roadways are impassable, so plan your trips carefully before leaving. Most schools up and down the Puget Sound are closed. King County Executive Ron Sims has declared an emergency in King County:

Extensive wind damage reported around county

King County Executive Ron Sims has issued an emergency proclamation in response to the overnight wind and flooding occurring throughout the county. The King County Emergency Coordination Center (ECC) has been activated overnight monitor the situation and help coordinate the countyÂ’s response efforts. King CountyÂ’s West Point Treatment Plant sustained some significant damages to their control operations due to flooding. Additionally, early indications are that King County may was one of the hardest hit areas with power outages in the region. Puget Sound Energy is reporting 700,000 customers without power in their nine county service area.

Morning commute:

The King County ECC is alerting the public to expect significant traffic delays during the Friday morning commute. Numerous roads in King County have been closed because of fallen trees and power lines and could remain impassable Friday morning. County officials recommend that commuters delay their morning drive until daybreak if at all possible. Increased visibility during daylight hours will make it easier for commuters to see hazards, water, and debris in the road and lessen the impact of what will surely be a slow morning commute.

You are advised to stay home if you can and make the best of your situation as possible. Please don't call 9-1-1 unless it is a life threatening emergency. The usual warnings about not touching or going near downed power lines are also definitely applicable.

So lots of people are without power and one of them is steam :( which sucks because I wanted to play Garry's mod. I also heard that 2 bridges got knocked over or something like that.

Oh so thats why steam couldn't connect. They should move to like, the inner southeast. Far enough inland that there aren't any hurricanes, not many snow storms, not many tornados of earthquakes, and only a few distructive hyper volcanos.

well, you would think that they would have more than one server so that if something happened to one, they would still be online.

Yea, I live in Portland, Oregon, and we got hit hard, but seattle got hit the worst. It was a brutal storm here, I can only imagein how it must of been up there.

nelson.gif

No, what the idiots should do with such a vastly-used component, is find some kind of freaking COOP strategy and use it! Jeez...

(COOP = Continuity Of Operations Plan, for those who were wondering...like...everyone at Valve...@&!#$&#)

incase you were wondering, you can do ping 207.173.176.131 if you want to check if the servers are back without opening steam

yeah, and the bad thing for me is that for some reason, steam didnt save my user info on my comp, so now I cant even play offline until I sign back in and save my username and password :(

so it looks like the servers may be back up because I was just able to log back on, but the steam store is still down. I dont know if I just got lucky, or if it is really back up. I have been reading that a few people have been able to get on today, but I dont want to risk logging off to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom