Steam downloading too quick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol yep you guessed it, and i refuse to go with rogers, they screwed me over before. but yea im up by the experimental farm and i can only get 2.5mbps, i made a formal complaint about it to bell this last week.

I have actually had kind of similar issue. Hardly issue, but you know what i mean.

My net is a 1.5Mb/s plan, so i DL at a max of about 160kb/s constant. But one time i got CAPPED , i repeat CAPPED, so my DL speed was down to about 14kb/s but there was a new Portal or TF2 update (can't remember which) of about 4Gb. I started the download nevertheless, expecting it would be maybe 1 or 2 percent when i woke up 4 hours later, but i look and it's 100%, reporting that i had a max DL speed of 1.8Mb/s or something, i was like :O and it couldn't have been a mistake because it had downloaded 4Gb-ish in under 4 hours, despite me apparently being 'capped'.

Tried speedtest.net and normal HTTP downloads and they maxed at 14-15kb/s :S

I'm having the same "problem" all the speedtest sites report me as getting an absolute maxiumum of 33mb/s (on an up to 50mbps connection, using wireless)

then I download on steam at over 7MB/s

which is over 56mbps

baffling, I'm not complaining though! Dowloaded TF2 (8GB) in like 20 minutes

wonder how they do it, I guess they use a strange protocol that isn't capped like normal traffic

See this is the thing. It is easy to jump to the conclusion it is reporting the wrong download speed.. but when you look at the file sizes and logs you see it really has downloaded faster than is technically possible.

Wierd or what..

i know how you feel. i used to live in the country with a 10mbps download and on torrents and such i could occasionally hit 6/7 mbps download, steam hit about 3/4 for me. now im in the heart of the city and literally all my isp provider can give me is 2.5mbps i hate it. its hardly any better then dialup when there is 3 computers and a ps3 running in the house at the same time. my house is wired for 5 wich is still substandard and they said they cant put me to 5 because the local network aka the lines they have in the ground wont support it.

I don't know why you think it's like dial up. In my house there are 3 computers, a wii, 360, ps3, 3 iphones an ipad and a HTC Touch HD all connected to wifi on my crappy 2.5mbps and it's fine. Internet use is just as quick with one computer on 2.5mbps, unless ofcourse someone is downloading. But even if you were on 50mb and someone was downloading at the max the internet will seem slow.

This thread title put a tear to my eye due to my garbage interweb connection.
Purchased Batman : Arkham Asylum and it's take all week to get to 36%.

Yeah, I'm usually on hovering between 100-110 and 30-40kb/s (different times) and it took me two and a bit days to download AA off of Steam.

Care to elaborate? :p

I used to dislike it but I've slowly become used to the convenience and simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom