Steam downloading too quick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing something similar to the following:

Earlier i saw the new update advertised for TF2, so started the download. Steam is claiming 8427mb in size, and when i came back to check it, it was reporting aroughly 550 to 600kbps most the time, but going up to roughly 850kbps for 10 to 20 minutes occasionally. My DSL connection has allways maxed out at roughly 350. So i assumed it was wrong, anyway i come back 4 hours after its started to see its done 8125/8427mb. Now this is very odd, because i know from experience with my usual 350kbps download rate it is pretty much 1gb/hour, so the download should take 8 hours, not 4 like it has done.

I tried pausing and resuming the download to see if it would post the correct speed, but no.. still claiming 600 to 800. Yet i tried downloading a normal file with my download manager and it downloaded a little faster than usual at 370kbps. But nothing extraodinary. So again, i assume Steam has just got the file size/dl speed confused. So i check the TF2 folder and can confirm it has indeed downloaded roughly 8gb.

What the heck ? Either steams got some magic new tech or it's reporting my DL speed wrong, the file size wrong, and windows is reporting the file sizes wrong too.

...or your ISP has increased your bandwidth for whatever reason.

If the problem persists I would recommend a new monitor, or maybe rebooting the PC 3 times :) (j/k obviously)

EDIT: try running a speed test, see what you get with a few other servers.

Nope. Restarted router and it synced at 2.8mbps, tried downloading with IDM/Firefox and got the usual 350kbps.
Besides, the only way my ISP could improve bandwidth is magically transfer me to cable, im on a "Up to 24mbps ADSL 2+" package, but i'm just so far away from the exchange 3mb is my safe max before it becomes unreliable. I can get 4.5mbps at any time if i ring them up but it literally drops out every 10 minutes, which is useless.

Wierd, just cant recreate it anywhere. I guess it's not something to moan about though.

I would kill for Steam to ever download "Too Fast".. I have a 40mb/s connection and steam still likes to download as slow as it can.

lol **** weird...you honestly have me stumped with this one. Still, you're lucky the 'problem' you have that nobody can solve isn't really a bad one lol

Steam quite often reports the download speed wrong (it often tells me I'm downloading at 400kb/s+ when I have a max of 130kb/s.

I do know that steam does have some local servers worldwide for some games. Frankly i just wish I had a better internet connection as I am still dragging the anchor with my steam purchases.

I do know that steam does have some local servers worldwide for some games. Frankly i just wish I had a better internet connection as I am still dragging the anchor with my steam purchases.

i know how you feel. i used to live in the country with a 10mbps download and on torrents and such i could occasionally hit 6/7 mbps download, steam hit about 3/4 for me. now im in the heart of the city and literally all my isp provider can give me is 2.5mbps i hate it. its hardly any better then dialup when there is 3 computers and a ps3 running in the house at the same time. my house is wired for 5 wich is still substandard and they said they cant put me to 5 because the local network aka the lines they have in the ground wont support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom