StarWars Galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Masters said:
I bought SWG (Collector's Edition) the day it came out. I couldn't wait for this game!

I was soooo let down. $15 USD a month to play is ridiculous. So many things about this game annoyed me.

- Lack of items and items can only be found at the bazaar or created.
- Mission targets disappearing or moving all over the world.
- Missions were so boring. Run for miles and miles just to kill some stupid rabbit for barely any credits and experience. You have to do hours and hours of these insanely boring missions to get anywhere in the game.
- Running all the way back to a town/city to find a medical center to heal yourself then over to the cantina to watch some dancers to gain more charisma (i think it was).

Omg, you spend hours and hours doing these most tedious of tasks and you find your character is hardly advancing in experience. I played the game for about 2 weeks and then go so sick of it. You'd have to pay me to play this game.

I have been playing for almot 11 months now. At first I didnt like the gaem at all. However it really got interesting.

First of all, there have been SOOOOO many updates. FOr example one major update were speederbikes. SO no more running around.

I agree missions get tedios. However, I focus on the PvP aspect of the game which is really fun. Just last night actually i was in a huge group of imperial players and we destroyed a Rebel base.(For those who play on Valcyn, it was NME's Detach center).

And yes, each of the planets are HUGE.

Also, in October the JUmp to LIghtspeed expansion is coming out. THis allows us to fly in space and participate in space combat.

Also i made a bunch of friends in this game. I can't leave now lol.

I think its well worth the 15 bucks a month.

soundgarden said:
I agree missions get tedios. However, I focus on the PvP aspect of the game which is really fun. Just last night actually i was in a huge group of imperial players and we destroyed a Rebel base.(For those who play on Valcyn, it was NME's Detach center).

Ditto. The mission are a bit repeatative, how ever the admin do plot thing against the players just to make things fun.
Example :- Our town is mainly IMP factioned. Anyways, some one has put an NPC Rebel Base just out side our town (about 1.5km). Lately, these Rebel Scum as be cause a bit of trouble for us. Like we come back from a IMP mission, and some of the Rebs will pull a few pot shots at us as were are coming back to base.

Anyways, it getting to a point now where we as players will been needing to do some thing about it, so we are organising a small army in the guild just to take out the base at the end of this month. Sound be fun.

soundgarden said:
And yes, each of the planets are HUGE.

The planet maps are 15km x 15km, how ever there is SO much to do.

soundgarden said:
Also, in October the JUmp to LIghtspeed expansion is coming out. THis allows us to fly in space and participate in space combat.

Beleive that is going to be some thing like EVE Online or the Freelancer where you will have verious hyper space jump points to get to. I am looking forward to that update too.

soundgarden said:
Also i made a bunch of friends in this game. I can't leave now lol.

The game dynamics actually encourage this. And with tools like Guild Chat, it really does help.

soundgarden said:
I think its well worth the 15 bucks a month.

Ditto. Price of a can of coke.

soundgarden said:
hey silesia, i only have 5 more professions to master then im JEDI!!!!

OH YEA!:cool:

That because you have been playing for the last 11 months whereas i have only been playing for the last 11 days.

Better hurry with this professions and they are talking about changing the Jedi System soon. It's going to be quest based, but in the end you are going to be wish you were back hologrinding on professions.

First post!

Thought I may aswell use it to respond to this topic. I've been playing since November and would echo many of the previous comments in terms of the fact that this is an absolutely massive game. You can end up losing yourself when you start to immerse yourself.

Like every other game ever it does have its critics, but each to their own. Personally I like the idea of starting with nothing and with the help of friends (and generous strangers) building my character up to being more impressive. I personally have gone the combat route but at any point I feel the urge, I like the fact that I can drop it all and become a support character for my guild, a crafter, medic etc.

If you are the sort of person who likes to hit the ground running - don't play this game. If however, you appreciate that it will take time to accomplish your goals and enjoy the challenge of gradually achieving your goals and accomplishing your targets then this is the game for you. I'm a fan of both styles but ultimately I find the latter more rewarding in the long-run.

Finally, on the issue of lag. In this game the speed of your internet connection doesn't really play a massive part. I used to run it on a p4 2.4ghz system with 128mb of RAM, a half-decent GFX card and a 1mb cable connection - and I had lag. Particularly in the more crowded areas. I now play on a 56k dial-up connection (cable or broadband not available in my area!) on a P4 3ghz system, 1gb RAM and a top end GFX card and I have no lag whatsoever. The only time I EVER experience any lag is when I try running two clients on my system! oo-er!

Enjoy. Oh, and 'Hi' by the way!

Now for a sig....

Silesia said:

Better hurry with this professions and they are talking about changing the Jedi System soon. It's going to be quest based, but in the end you are going to be wish you were back hologrinding on professions.

They are changing way you level up in Jedi, NOT the way you unlock it. I stlil have a while. HOwever, thanks to publish 9, i wont be able to play with the jedi until publish 10.

But I dont mind, as long as i get to weild a light saber! and go around saying "Back to your drinks, Jedi Business" !!!!!!:cool:

On the cost issue, if you average seeing one movie per month (as I do) then the 11 bucks a month you pay for the movies can just as easily go to a game you will play for more than 1 hr, 45 min a month. :p

However I would not buy SWG unless you LOVE to craft. I say this having played it for 6 months, from beta to half a year into release. I helped found Guns, Money, Women (GMW) on Bloodfin, which remains a strong and influential guild, with several Jedi and (last time I talked to them, a month ago or so) the second highest-trained Dark Jedi in the game. So I have a little experience with these things.

The game is pretty fun to play, but it becomes very repetitive and demanding in that to produce very nice equipment -- and player-produced stuff is the ONLY kind of stuff in the game, there are no NPC vendors for weapons / armor etc. -- as your factories, mines, etc. operate and require maintenance even when you are not logged in.

If you're someone like myself who usually plays a stand-up knock-down fighter or a healer, you'll find yourself finished with your profession depressingly quickly =/ I mastered combat medic, medic and pistoleer so quickly it wasn't even funny. 3 or 4 of the guys in my guild had to master EVERY profession to unlock their Jedi powers.

I won't even dive into the Jedi issue. If you like crafting and SW then it's probably the game for you, if not, there are many others.

Alex

I currently pofession grinding Image Design. Since there is not many ID Master out there, people say you can easily charge $50k for a stat change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom