Starcraft II vs other RTS games? - Page 6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Starcraft II vs other RTS games?

The issue affects only people in very rural areas, where highspeed internet, isn't normal, most people that have issues with the Battle.net 2.0 reqs and no lan are people in these areas that like to play, I have satellite internet, good download/upload, but the latency is so out there, that activating the game was actually a hassle, running an emu server and having everyone get together once every few weeks is easier for us in the end, we bought the game, but, a lot of us just can't obtain a really nice connection, the sad part is, most of us only live 2-3 miles from a cable or dsl drop, but there just isn't an incentive for the cable/phone companies to install the hardware to extend the lines as it's just a few houses that would use the service in the end.

But you take a drive down my road, 15 houses all have sat net, at $100 a month, it isn't cheap compared to cable, so yea... online gaming is a no no, games that work on dial up are OK on satellite internet, but broadband games you can't do, my 360 actually spazs out when I sign into live to download things, as it can't access the marketplace, but I can schedule downloads from the PC, then fire it up, and it grabs everything just fine.

But yea, the emu server isn't simple, took 4 people to get it semi-working, supports basic sign in/validation, but, it's very crude and bugs out a lot, no achievements, supports 1v1 only for now due to some kind of traffic routing issue that we have experienced, not sure what's causing it, we think it's because the games all go lan like after signing into a legit server, and the emu server just freaks out until we reset it... Sigh, if only Blizzard would sell a LAN version or something, at this point, we would all probably pay for a LAN version just so we can play 4v4 or FFA games

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
Troll Patrol

Well also it would be bad for people who are in countries where the internet is only available through the Gov and it has bandwidth caps. (Australia).

Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Aussies actually got lucky with SC2 in the end as they are allowed to pick there region with the version they buy.

Closed Thread