Starcraft II vs other RTS games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude all i am saying is if i go to play resident evil out break game that is the game i get if i go to play dota, dota is hwat i get, if i go to play spine lurker defense it is what i get. the only time i can see what you are talking about occuring is probably because of troll hosts. if i go into a game and end up as a host i can change the game and map. that is users being d bags not the game giving you the wrong game from what it is tittled. i have never ever yet picked a game and not go what i pciked in the custom games.

The thing is, certain clans/guilds or w/e play specific maps, with specific modes that are inputted, or people look for that, it becomes very hard to find the map they want, being hosted with those modes with how the current system is, compared to the original system.

I have noticed that Blizzard as once again put in the leveling treadmill for this game as the more you play the game, the more units you get to unlock while playing Multiplayer.

That has been around since the early days of Blizzard, but, the downside are those upgrades and units that aren't seen in online ladder games.

I have noticed that Blizzard as once again put in the leveling treadmill for this game as the more you play the game, the more units you get to unlock while playing Multiplayer.

ummm, no? this is completely false. have you played the game? are you complaining because you dont get every unit up front in the single player campaign? there are no unlocking units in multiplayer. there is no leveling in multiplayer. are you talking about D3? if so thats what I get for jumping to page 4.

corossive, I think what you are neglecting is this is 3.0.3, there is alot yet to be worked out. I've bandwaggoned just about every RTS and MMO that came out, and 90% of them are nowhere near what they were on day 1, the 10% that stayed the same have failed, or gotten new titles which promise to correct all the issues with the previous generation. Blizzard has never left a modern game to die, or be imba, or have a cruddy ladder system. They have also never released a game that was perfectly balanced, had a good ladder system, or has gone on to failure.

dont troll for the sake of trolling, and don't assume the worst from no patch judgements.

the only resemblense i see from war hammer and star craft is the marines other then that the yare bot hdiferent. if you wana play the borrow game then most of everything coems from dungeons and dragons. the war hammer games themselves are made to compete against star craft, star craft came out first, so as far as the video games themselves go some might say warmahammer took some things from star craft but that is besides the point. star craft is an awsome game that gives you a fun experience, and the ability to play so much user made content. there is a reason star craft 2 for the last 11/12 years has had more players then all of war hammer ever has had wether its the table top or video game. anything mideaval with fantasy like creatures t osome degree stems originaly from dungeons and dragons. and most scifi- space universes come from star treck and star wars at some degree. the first rts ever was comand and conquer. so you cant sit there and say this took that from this and so on because at some level there is always going to be some area in any game or universe where things where inspired from a diferent franchise.

Are you serious? The biggest ripoff was the Zerg. They were a direct STEAL of the Warhammer 40k faction known as the Tyranids; which existed more than 10 years prior to StarCraft. It was that faction, in particular, which lead to a massive lawsuit which Games Workshop won and Blizzard lost. Even the Protoss were Eldar ripoffs, from a technological standpoint.

my final point is this, i have played warhammer 40k table top and the video game and i have played star craft 1 and 2. star craft 2 is much much more fun, and more of a classic rts feel to what games used to be like back then. much like wow this is an easy game to play but hard to master, and that is what makes any game simply fun.

also i play sc2 on a dell laptop with a c2d t6500 and a intel gma 4500. i run the game on the lowest settings and it is tolerable, doesnt lagg at all, and i am still having so so much fun with this game. to adress the high settings graphics issue some people may be having. most rts games use 1 game engine, and when they want to do in game cut scenes they use the same engine. the rts you are usualy quite high up in the sky so when your right on down there, the fact that the game still has a considerably good level of detail is quite suprising. where the 400$ gpu is justified is when you have 100 high detailed units on screen from up in the sky. yea sure when you are down low for the cut scenes you might not say its justified but there is no need for it as there is only usualy a few units. i dare anyone with a gtx 480 or higher to play a game with 200 units per side and then go head to head and tell me it doesnt look awsome, itl proly bring your gpu to its knee's at that.

First of all, neither game is more fun than the table top version of Warhammer 40k. Now I know you haven't played it for any considerably length of time.

Furthermore, to those who say, "Dawn of War doesn't have the classic feel of a RTS," well that's because they (THQ & Relic) set out to do something different. The "classic" feel was also clunky, unrealistic (for economical, tactical, and scaling purposes in-game), and quite simply outdated. No RTS simulate combat as accurately as Dawn of War/DoW2.

Is it hard? Of course. But hard doesn't equal bad. Cartoonish scaling, mining, base-building, etc., are/were all a part of what made most RTS's lame compared to the other genres of PC video games.

Finally, people only don't like challenges (such as those presented by DoW2), because they have to play outside of the cookie-cutter method. There's no direct build-pattern for cranking out the elite troops and crushing the enemy base inside of 3 minutes in multi-player with a game like DoW2. Starcraft 1 & 2, Age of Empires (1-3), as well as every other RTS game, suffers from those flaws.

DoW2 is leagues better than StarCraft II, even in the graphics department. They play style is also a step in the proper direction if RTS's are to avoid spiraling into the realm of lame redundancy.

i would like to confirm you cannot unlock any units in multi-player, and that it only exists in the single player campaign. also to address the post above me star craft was originally commissioned to be made as a table top by games-workshop from blizzard. blizzard created the sc universe and games-workshop didn't pick it up. blizzard after putting so much into it continued on to make the game and the sc franchise. and my main point being is nothing today can be created with out having first ripped off some one else. and yes in the beginning sc did take things from war hammer. but since then creators from both sides have said they have both drawn inspiration from each other's universe's. final and last point you can say what you want about sc2 game play mechanics and how dow2 is better but truth be told they are both rts games that cannot be directly compared. they are both 2 different types of rts games. a lot of people like base building and developing tech. sc2 can be just as fast paced and tactical as dawn of war and if you don't believe me you need to start playing it and learn for yourself. my final point is the numbers my friends. star craft before star craft 2 was even announced was a phenomenon. with thousands of pro players, with hundreds of tournaments held every year and so on star craft has been all ready chose by the Masses as a superior game. star craft 2 is just adding to it. dawn of war yes is a wicked game. i have never played the campaign but have enjoyed the mp a few times, and it reminded me a lot of company of heroes which i did invest a lot of time into. these are 2 different sub genres of 1 type of gaming. you can complain as much as you want about how bad you all think this game is and that you will not try it, but sales have been an indicator alone on the success that is to follow this game. also i would like to point out most wow players hate star craft players. out of my guild of 150 people 3 of us play it and the other 147 burn on us for it because to them wow>everything else.

like it or not the truth is always told in the sales numbers.

I'm having a LOT of fun playing SC2, I think they have some balance issues to work out but its a great game. SC1 was known for how balanced the game was and that made it great. SC2 is gonna be a very competitive game and I look forward to playing it for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom