StarCraft 2 now three games :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 million subscirbers. then wtf is all that bullsh** about wow being the craziest mmo with 11 million subscribers. :/ = 165 million a month minus server costs.

and are you saying 33 million a MONTH isn't a ton of money? please :/

And people are irritated by the fact that the only thing changing between each game is apparently the campaign.

Adding 30 missions to single player campaign and calling it an expantion pack is a load of bull. At most that could qualify as a 10$ direct download off their servers.

of course my views aren't as forthcoming as fade2black :/ I understand blizzard first and foremost is a company, so no matter how irritating we find their marketing decisions their goal as a successful company is to make money.

Still doesn't change the fact that there's no way in heck i'm paying them for the 2nd and 3rd starcraft games, lol.
besides, when D3 is released, every other game on the planet can go to heck for all i care LOL

Concerning SC 2 expansions, you got your facts wrong.
1. They said they MAY add additional content for the 2nd and 3rd games and were undecided.
2. They said they were not expansion packs but stand alone games
3. Their campaigns are of exceedingly high quality with expensive CGI cut scenes, far more in abundance then the original SC.
4. Diablo 3 is just a point and constantly click game, no thinking required :p no I don't want to start a diablo debate, thats just my opinion...and the opinions of many other professional video game reviewers :p

also the mp suite will have all 3 races for all 3 games but it is unclear wetather they will uset he same game client or restrict you to playing with only peopel who own a copy of your game, im hoping the all use the same client, and just update it with new featrues and what nto as the games come out. also d3 will be released before all 3 games are finished they said the initial launch of sc2 will be before d3. the inital beign the first game. it would be a horrible idea to wait 3 years to launch d3.

I know they were standalone. Doesn't mean they aren't expantions. you referred to them as expantions yourself so don't critisize me over it.
gabb said:
Oh and yes the expansions will probably cost $30 just like Brood Wars :p
christ

"MAY" add content isn't good enough for me. That's just a fallback statement so noone will whine when they don't, because they never actually said they would.

I don't care how good quality their 30 mission campaigns are. And stop comparing it to the original. How old was the original? The original only costed asd much as each of the standalone expantions are going to cost, and it was a complete single player and multiplayer package.

chill out, blizard doesn't need their own defender of justice to pick apart and anazlyze ever negative comment said about their decisions. "blizzard the infallable" huh?

I love blizzard, great company, Top Quality games. Doesn't mean I've got to be in love with every decision they make. It also doesn't mean i hate SC2. Just the opposite, i'm definitely going to buy it. Just like I own every other big name title they've ever released. I'm just not paying for 60$+ worth of added campaign that i'll play once.

If they're going to add a full expantion packs worth of content, I may pay for it. but being standalone put them at more of a disadvantage there because I'll be expecting more than just regular tack-on content.

"MAY" add content isn't good enough for me. That's just a fallback statement so noone will whine when they don't, because they never actually said they would.

So we should whine about something that hasn't been confirmed? The new Oct 13th IGN article on this matter seems to confirm that there will be new additional multiplayer content to the stand alone/expansions.

I don't care how good quality their 30 mission campaigns are. And stop comparing it to the original. How old was the original? The original only costed asd much as each of the standalone expantions are going to cost, and it was a complete single player and multiplayer package.

chill out, blizard doesn't need their own defender of justice to pick apart and anazlyze ever negative comment said about their decisions. "blizzard the infallable" huh?

I love blizzard, great company, Top Quality games. Doesn't mean I've got to be in love with every decision they make. It also doesn't mean i hate SC2. Just the opposite, i'm definitely going to buy it. Just like I own every other big name title they've ever released. I'm just not paying for 60$+ worth of added campaign that i'll play once.

If they're going to add a full expantion packs worth of content, I may pay for it. but being standalone put them at more of a disadvantage there because I'll be expecting more than just regular tack-on content.

My tone wasn't angry or exclamated ( hence the reason why i used smiley faces ) so I'm quite chill :p I myself don't like the change to be honest mainly because we won't be familar with the zerg and protoss. I completely blame Blizzard for not devoting enough resources to this game, I mean heck has it seen any production at all the last couple months!?!? ( I guess that one guy who argued it with me was right and I was wrong, which is really unfortunate cause it makes no sense at all ). And if you don't want me comparing it to the original well how about modern day games then? Most RTS single player games have far less then 30 missions, so 90+ missions is what would be considered "epic."

Oh and if they charge for battle.net I will be incredible ****ed, if they charge anything more then 5 bucks a month then I will be as angry as I could possibly be at a video game company

Releaselog | RLSLOG.net BlizzCon news: Diablo 3, Starcaft 2 trilogy
Blizzard revealed that the single player portion of the game would be broken up into three separate products, one for each of the factions: Wings of Liberty for the Terrans, Heart of the Swarm for the Zerg, and Legacy of the Void for the Protoss. Each campaign is said to have around 35 missions and all will end with the same ending, offering three distinct looks at what sounds like one over-arching story.
BlizzCon 2008
StarCraft II Gameplay

Attendees of the StarCraft II Gameplay Panel got to hear big news about the single-player campaign first-hand: The epic story of StarCraft II will span a trilogy of games, with each game's single-player campaign focusing on a different race. The first game will go into great depth telling the tale of Jim Raynor and the terrans. Two expansion packs will continue the story, delving separately into the saga of Kerrigan and the zerg, and that of the mystic protoss. By structuring the story this way, each campaign can be substantial, lengthy, and include meaningful choices for the player. Each campaign can also include more missions (the developers are targeting 26 to 30 for the first game alone), more interactive settings for players to explore, and more pre-rendered and in-game cinematics than would have been possible within a single game. Attendees also got a see several new cinematics, including a minute of the StarCraft II intro movie and an early peek at a dream sequence related to the Queen of Blades' origin.

The entire idea about splitting the single playier game into 3 games is just remind me about that failure of EPISODES idea that they did for Sin and Half Life 2. However at least the devs are packing in a lot of missions of for each race. So with about 30 missions per race, i am not going to feel so ripped off when purchasing the game. However paying for 3 games will be a heavy hit to some gamers pocket. However when you think about it, you are getting a rather large game.
As appose to most other RTS which happen to be about a dozen maps per faction.

On the good side, at least it's not going to be like Episodes where you have only about a few levels per game.
But on the bad side, it's will be expensive in the long run.

At this stage, I am more than likely to just wait 12 months for a StarCraft II BattleChest (if that ever comes out)

Yeah alright I guess I can swallow it. As long as they arent charging 50 bones a piece.

It still leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but I can't argue that 30-35 missions each is a lot.
It'll be even more reasonable if they're fun enough to play twice.
I've never run into an rts where the campaign was good enough to play through more than once. except maybe back in the beginning of command and conquer games. and warcraft 1 and 2. it was pretty new back then though :/

They won't charge for b.net. it's already been confirmed for D3 specifically, and they made a glancing remark that it was for b.net 2.0 in general.
I'd post a link but the forums are so hammered right now that I can't load any of the pages to get the official statement :/

Y
I've never run into an rts where the campaign was good enough to play through more than once. except maybe back in the beginning of command and conquer games. and warcraft 1 and 2. it was pretty new back then though :/
you have clearly never played total war series then i could play it over am illion times lol so many thigns to do and possibilities with ways of goign about world domination. was religion politics trade's. with over 20 factions.

Releaselog | RLSLOG.net BlizzCon news: Diablo 3, Starcaft 2 trilogy

BlizzCon 2008

The entire idea about splitting the single playier game into 3 games is just remind me about that failure of EPISODES idea that they did for Sin and Half Life 2. However at least the devs are packing in a lot of missions of for each race. So with about 30 missions per race, i am not going to feel so ripped off when purchasing the game. However paying for 3 games will be a heavy hit to some gamers pocket. However when you think about it, you are getting a rather large game.
As appose to most other RTS which happen to be about a dozen maps per faction.

On the good side, at least it's not going to be like Episodes where you have only about a few levels per game.
But on the bad side, it's will be expensive in the long run.

At this stage, I am more than likely to just wait 12 months for a StarCraft II BattleChest (if that ever comes out)

Um you won't see a Starcraft 2 battlechest for at LEAST 3 years...trust me on that :p

oh and you said episodes were a failure for Half life 2? Last time I checked orange box ( which contains episode 2 ) was one of the best selling games of 2007 and highest rated games of all time...doesn't sound much like a failure to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom