Sniper Elite (2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i have played it. its ok but id wait for its price to get a bit lower - its not worth the ~AU$80 it retails for.

basically depending on the difficulty level it can be a point n click shooter or a reasonably tactical experience. if u turn off all the realism options (bullet drop, wind etc) u just line up over a guy's head and click - result is instant headshot. on the other hand if realism is high u might have to aim a bit above and to the right to compensate for range and wind. There is a fair bit of trial and error early on, because u dont have binoculars which tell u range to target (like delta force series) and u cant program ranges into your rifle. its all done by eye.

the ai is reasonable but dont really use squad tactics against you - its more each man for himself. some ai are scripted to have an uncanny aiming ability - an dude with a MP40 hitting me from a pretty far range consistently. I played it on normal dificulty (2/4) and the aiming of general ai is ok, maybe a bit lacking. i have heard that on sniper elite difficulty (4/4) all the ai have uncanny aiming abilities.

the levels get a bit tedious. because its supposed to be all about position and patience i would play a level how its supposed to be played - subtly - but in the long run it would get boring and i would play the next three by just running around with my rifle killing everything. There is also one particular level which is all indoors. This gets really annoying as the non sniping element is very poor in the game. Often when trying to aim the guy's body gets in the way of the reticle.

the game also has a feature that when you die it shows you who killed you. so for example if you get counter-sniped (might happen in later levels because in earlier ones enemy snipers are seriously retarded) and die the camera shows u their position. although this is good to prevent frustration it takes some of the patience challenge out of it.

there is an implemented camouflage rating (0%, 25%, 50%, 75% - never got 100% so not sure it exists). this basically dictates the probability that you will be detected depending on how well camouflaged you are with your surroundings. This helps but is quite random. in some instances i can be crouched and moving and have 50% while in others on the same type of landscape i might have 25% while prone. it mostly depends on whether the level wants a particular location to be a good sniping spot.

so the game is for u if u want an authentic - kinda - sniping experience where u crawl around for ages with your binoculars scoping the place out before taking one shot. like i said i wouldnt really recommend it at its current price because its not value for money. it is however the best sniping simulator out there at the moment.

Sounds like this game should have been free. I'm sure America's Army is better than Sniper Elite and it's free.

lol - a friend bought this game, hated it and gave it to me.

If your friend hates it and gives it to you... There's probably a good reason... lol it sucks...

I love sniping in FPS games, but this game.... pfff... whatever...

I just don't think you can base a whole game on sniping...

HAVOC2k5 said:

I just don't think you can base a whole game on sniping...

lol very good point. Sniping should only be one portion of a game, not the whole basis of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom