small unit strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenNcheese

In Runtime
im wondering what sort of games there are out there that are focused around controlling a small unit (squad sized)? im looking more into a strategy type game rather than a FPS. games i have heard of are:

Full Spectrum Warrior (was ok)
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (is this any good)
Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (havent played waiting for Faces of War)
Commandos (played all of them - liked)
ALFA: antiterror (demo - didnt like)
Sqaud Leader (didnt like)
Platoon (heard it was crap)
Jagged Alliance (loved it)

are there any others similar to above titles that are good?

RTS Games:

C&C, Starcraft, or Warcraft are some of the best strategy games out there.

Strategy Based FPS Games:

Also, in Battlefield 2, you can command your squads under your command and call in support when you are commander.

chickenNcheese said:
im wondering what sort of games there are out there that are focused around controlling a small unit (squad sized)? im looking more into a strategy type game rather than a FPS. games i have heard of are:

Full Spectrum Warrior (was ok)
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (is this any good)
Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (havent played waiting for Faces of War)
Commandos (played all of them - liked)
ALFA: antiterror (demo - didnt like)
Sqaud Leader (didnt like)
Platoon (heard it was crap)
Jagged Alliance (loved it)

are there any others similar to above titles that are good?

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

New Game, kick *** with tactics, graphics are insane, but gameplay isn't as fast paced as in a pure FPS.

Still very well done and worth the buy - but make sure your computer can handle it.

Re: Re: small unit strategy

Alex81388 said:
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter...make sure your computer can handle it.

yeah that might be a problem. also looking for a game where u are more detatched from the action (ur not actually a character in the game).

ulater6000 said:
C&C, Starcraft, or Warcraft....

...Battlefield 2...

C&C, SC and Warcraft are too large scale with resource management and stuff.

BF2 i know has that squad system but its not quite what im looking for. i was looking for something where u are more detatched (see above).

As for Civ4 havent played but isnt that like empire buliding like all the other civ's?

Anyone know what happened to the old Close Combat series? That sounds like it's maybe the kind of thing you're looking for...you manage a squad of troops through WWII campaigns.....I remember it being pretty fun.

close combat! yes! it was quite fun and i forgot to put it on the list as one that ive played. however they went switched from the strategy game to a FPS with Close Combat: First to Fight. disappointing....

That's a shame...not that I don't like a good FPS from time to time, but it's sad to see somethign different like that get left behind.

It's also very sad how badly they messed up Squad Leader turning it into a PC game. Seems like there's a niche here that somebody could fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom