Slo-Mo in GTA 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDummy

Solid State Member
I've been waiting to play this game since it came out. Unfortunately, it walked, more than "ran", on my old box. Thefore I built a new box. I'm now running a 2.6GHz Quad Core, 8 GB DDR2 240 pin PC2-6400 RAM, nVidia 280 GTX all on a nForce 750i motherboard. Now when I play GTA 4 it starts off beautiful...then it starts into slow motion...then back to normal...then back to slo mo again. I'm completely baffled as to what could be causing the slow down. I have the most recent drivers, well I switched to a slight older motherboard driver because Rockstar lists it as the "recommeded driver for GTA 4". If anyone has any ideas of what I could look at next to remove these slowdowns, I would appreciate it greatly!

By slowdowns, you means Jumpyness ? bad framerate ?

I can tell you the answer, if you have patched the game up to version 1.03, reinstall it and only patch up to 1.02. Why you ask ? simple, patch 1.02 has much better performence than 1.03, it also supports mods - 1.03 doesn't. And the mods are what make it fun !

Alternatively, if you havn't patched it at all, patch it with 1.01 and 1.02 after, both patches increase performance a fair bit.

On my rig, Quad Core @ 3.6Ghz and ATI 4870 with just 3gb of ram, i get perfect framerates and it never lags on patch 1.02. On patch 1.03, it lags all over the place.

Got no love with the 1.02 update. I did find that my proc is hitting its' knees, I'm assuming that is what's causing my framerates to drop through the floor. I have a Q6700 quad core, so I"m not exactly sure how I'm going to resolve this problem.

*Edit*
Okay, specifically it looks like the first of the four cores is maxing out while the other three are pulling a minimal load. So far as I know, it's up to the software to work with the distribution of workload. Is this the case? Or is there software out there, or a setting I'm unaware of, that'll distribute the load more evenly?

No program of that kind unfortunately. That's up to each individual game engine. In game none of your cores should be maxing out. It shouldn't take 100% of any of the 4 as it should be taxing your GPU not your CPU. What are the temperatures at when running the game? List both CPU and GPU.

No program of that kind unfortunately. That's up to each individual game engine. In game none of your cores should be maxing out. It shouldn't take 100% of any of the 4 as it should be taxing your GPU not your CPU. What are the temperatures at when running the game? List both CPU and GPU.

Not true, actually.

I'm running at 3.6Ghz and my cpu is constantly at 90percent on GTA4. Peaking at 95 or 96

Well, the problem did turn out to be a heat issue. Once I isolated, and resolved it, everything ran great. Thanks for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom