Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekustix

Baseband Member
I recently obtained a small business server for free from a friend who upgraded his company servers. It's a Dell PowerEdge SC1420.

Intel Xeon Processor at 2.8GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
1.0GB DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512MB, Single Ranked DIMMs
48x CDROM

Will I be able to set this up on my home network as a dedicated server to run games/host a website on? My internet is roughly 8mb down 1mb up. I really don't know too much about servers, so if anybody has a pretty user friendly answer for me, I'd love it. I'm lokoing to run either a Prey or CS:S server.

Also, I have an extra computer in the house which has some pretty nice specs itself. Is it possible to use this as a dedicated server as well?

yeah that would be fine to run CS:S, back in the day i ran a CS 1.5 server on a p4 1.7 with 512 ram, had 16 players and ran smooth. that Xeon should be able to handle source fine, never played prey before so i dont know about that.

and yeah its more then possible to use a regular computer as a dedicated server for games.

Server 2003 is a pretty nice OS, but dont go wasting your money on it XP would do just fine. unless you got the cash to burn or "other means" of getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom