Baseband Member
What kind of games can a sempron run? I'm mostly gonna run games around tf2 or
SF X T.

Last edited:
What kind of games can a sempron run? I'm mostly gonna run games around tf2 or
SF X T.

View this first and read the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjRsikr870

For that sempron to only have 1.3ghz and depending on the mobo I would try to oc to atleast 1.7ghz,
Gamewise like mista graphic ***** mention you would need to play some games and test and come to your own conclusion.
That or go by other users who have success with it and gaming fine and ask.
If money is no biggy

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD4300WMHKBOX - Newegg.com
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 4GB Single DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL10 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com
MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

That would be -MUCH- more than that little sempron can do.
I'm warning you once:
Don't bother with semprons in general you will be sorry you laid down one dollar for it.
Its the worst mistake you can make if you plan on using the machine for everything besides gamiong.
Even a past generation sandy bridge celery would outperform amds current am1 lineup if its setup correctly.

Last edited:
View this first and read the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjRsikr870

For that sempron to only have 1.3ghz and depending on the mobo I would try to oc to atleast 1.7ghz,
Gamewise like mista graphic ***** mention you would need to play some games and test and come to your own conclusion.
That or go by other users who have success with it and gaming fine and ask.
If money is no biggy

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD4300WMHKBOX - Newegg.com
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 4GB Single DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL10 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com
MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

That would be -MUCH- more than that little sempron can do.
I'm warning you once:
Don't bother with semprons in general you will be sorry you laid down one dollar for it.
Its the worst mistake you can make if you plan on using the machine for everything besides gamiong.
Even a past generation sandy bridge celery would outperform amds current am1 lineup if its setup correctly.

So what APU would you recommend for around 50-70 dollars?

So what APU would you recommend for around 50-70 dollars?

:) this one here:
AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core 3.8GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor AD760KWOHLBOX - Newegg.com
Yes I know its 77.00 bucks but hey its better than the sempron your looking into.
Couple that with crucial ballistix at 1 8gb stick of ram and let the bios have some 1 gig of ram.
9 times out of 10 you will game so damn hard you won't notice it lag much at all.
The only downside to apus they are not as strong as the fx or the old phenom series.
That cpu will do light or medium desktop work, if your doing any video game modding or autocad..
Check google and bing look closely and see what others say about it for 3d work.

So given all that the apu will do you or the ivy bridge core i3's will settle you.
Even intels hd built in graphics on their chips do well.
However they "DO" suck under demanding/stressfull games especially pvp online matches.

Just weight out your options if your budget gets bigger before the holidays kick up come back here and we'll talk more. :)

:) this one here:
AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core 3.8GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor AD760KWOHLBOX - Newegg.com
Yes I know its 77.00 bucks but hey its better than the sempron your looking into.
Couple that with crucial ballistix at 1 8gb stick of ram and let the bios have some 1 gig of ram.
9 times out of 10 you will game so damn hard you won't notice it lag much at all.
The only downside to apus they are not as strong as the fx or the old phenom series.
That cpu will do light or medium desktop work, if your doing any video game modding or autocad..
Check google and bing look closely and see what others say about it for 3d work.

So given all that the apu will do you or the ivy bridge core i3's will settle you.
Even intels hd built in graphics on their chips do well.
However they "DO" suck under demanding/stressfull games especially pvp online matches.

Just weight out your options if your budget gets bigger before the holidays kick up come back here and we'll talk more. :)

That's a bit steep. I'm in canada so it comes to about 85 dollars.

Could you recommend an a6 6400k?

That's a bit steep. I'm in canada so it comes to about 85 dollars.

Could you recommend an a6 6400k?

No I won't I will float you this, I never thought I see the day again where I would shunned amd and thats mainly aimed at there apu's.

Intel Pentium G3420 vs AMD Athlon X4 760K
Intel Pentium G3420 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3420 - Newegg.com
Check newegg canada they may have it, that cpu would be better than the one I picked.
I'll check in the morning for a good LGA 1150 microatx board.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't want to upgrade his board too.

Let him decide that he has 2 good options if he goes for amd because of the 8000 series let him.
If he goes haswell I know of a board that may help him on a tight budget,
I'll handle this one alone if you don't mind. :/

No I won't I will float you this, I never thought I see the day again where I would shunned amd and thats mainly aimed at there apu's.

Intel Pentium G3420 vs AMD Athlon X4 760K
Intel Pentium G3420 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3420 - Newegg.com
Check newegg canada they may have it, that cpu would be better than the one I picked.
I'll check in the morning for a good LGA 1150 microatx board.

How would a dual core clocked with less Ghz preform better against a processor that has a higher clock speed and has quad core. Also, what about pentium G3258? It's clocked at the same speed as the G420.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't want to upgrade his board too.
I'm building from scratch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom