Running Wow From An External Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98RedGs

Baseband Member
Is this possible to buy an external HDD and run wow from that drive via usb?

Rather than having to install it, meaning that I could randomly take that drive from computer to computer and simply plug it in to run the game?

If someone knows for sure please let me know but I'm looking into this for a friend and I don't think it would be easily possible but hey.... you never know!

Thanks,
John

It's possible to play from an external hard drive. But I'm not sure, if it's as easy as taking it to another computer, and simply run the game....because of the directories or something with how and where they were installed to.

It's possible to play from an external hard drive. But I'm not sure, if it's as easy as taking it to another computer, and simply run the game....because of the directories or something with how and where they were installed to.

Aye, Like I know I could simply put the entire folder from Program Files onto the Drive and then drag it onto the other PC and run it but I was looking at trying a "portable wow".

=)

Thanks,
John

Is this possible to buy an external HDD and run wow from that drive via usb?

Rather than having to install it, meaning that I could randomly take that drive from computer to computer and simply plug it in to run the game?

If someone knows for sure please let me know but I'm looking into this for a friend and I don't think it would be easily possible but hey.... you never know!

Thanks,
John

Yes, you can. Just copy files and click on wow.exe

I do it all the time from my work computer.

True, WoW is one of the few full fledged games that you can do this on. I know a guy from uni who keeps WoW on an extremely fast 8gb flash drive and plays on various computers. Most games have registry entries and so forth that they seem to need in order to play. WoW has no such entries, thanks fo Blizzard's excellent programming abilities and common sense, and so you can play it directly from a portable drive.

Since you mentioned Blizzard's programming abilities, does this apply to other Blizzard games as well?

Since you mentioned Blizzard's programming abilities, does this apply to other Blizzard games as well?

I've never tried, to be honest. It'd be interesting to see. If they can get all of their previous pc games to run flawlessly on new computers I suppose they could have made them "portable" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom