Running Halo on old machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foden

Beta member
Is there anyway of running Halo on a machine with a 500mhz processor?

Not all of us can afford to upgrade for the newest specs, so I was wondering if I would be able to run Halo on it?

PC Specs:

AMD Athlon 500mhz
64mb GeForce4 MX440
512mb RAM
80gb HDD

Maybe, since you've got a lot of RAM to make up for it. If at all possible, borrow a friend's copy or download the demo to see. I wouldn't buy it unless you get a used version for like $20 or less since you don't know, though. Everything would have to be at its lowest settings, of course.

GameGURU said:
I doubt it, the game requires at least a 733MHz CPU.

And then some......

When I was on my old AMD Athlon Xp 1700 with GF4MX420 64MB, my computer lagged when ever some of the some of the guns let off vapor when reloaded.

Foden,

If you doubled your ram, and got yourself an 128Mb video card, you MIGHT be able to do it.

Otherwise, you might want to just stick with the orginal UNREAL as a HALO subtitute.

I had a p3 500mhz with an ati 7000 and 256mb of ram.
When i tried to run halo on it, it gave me a warning that my processor was too slow to run the game. I ignored it and tried to play it. i had to turn off all of the fancy grafix options, but it ran. It was actually semi-playable. Not worth it tho if u ask me

I played Halo on my current system (specs below), and I ran it at lowest settings. It worked smoothly, however some of the more intensive parts of the game slowed my framerate considerably to around 3, haha. I would highly not recommend running the game on anything lower than the minimum system specs. The game's engine is just horrible at preserving processing power. A game like this should be able to run on a 300 mhz system if it was designed well.

Hey, I also tried to play Halo on my comp (see specs in my sig). Even I have a lot of RAM and nice video card, and my CPU is about only 100 Mhz below the minimum, it refused to run, it starts, but freezesin a first moment of the game, so I have to end it's task or reboot. Really sad...

If you have fast internet, so download and try the demo, but anyway, I don't think it will work.

IcedSteve-o said:
I had a p3 500mhz with an ati 7000 and 256mb of ram.
When i tried to run halo on it, it gave me a warning that my processor was too slow to run the game. I ignored it and tried to play it. i had to turn off all of the fancy grafix options, but it ran. It was actually semi-playable. Not worth it tho if u ask me
Geez.... I hate to see how that game would of lagged after unloading and reloading some of the guns that give off vapor. I remember my previous set up (Athlon 1700, 512Mb, GF4MX420 64Mb) no liking that.
I got over that hitch when i upgraded the video card.

Over all, you would be best to find an faster CPU, and you might have a fighting chance of playing the game.

Cutting down the eye candy graphics is one thing I can live with.
Choppy Game Play and Laggy Graphics is another.

Moral of the story is, if you want a games machine, you need to keep in up today. PCs between 2 1/2 years old and older start showing their age on games. However this is easily fixed with more ram or new vga card. PCs about 3 years and older... you start thinking of serious upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom