Running Crysis on Very High in XP/DX9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
There is a way of bypassing the locked very high settings, and guess what, works just fine in XP! Even if it's not true DX10 it looks almost identical to the Vista/DX10 specs.

To do this follow this:

Go to <your crysis demo directory>\Game\Config

In this folder you should see a folder called CvarGroups

MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FOLDER (call it "CvarGroups_default" or something)

Go into the CvarGroups folder and open the CFG files with notepad or TextPad (free app you can download, designed for config files like this).

In these files it should follow this format

=4

<code>

=3

<code>

etc.

This is how it works =4 is Very High settings, =3 is High settings, =2 is medium settings, =1 is low settings.

It's so easy, all you do is copy the code in the =4 section of the file, and replace the code in the =3 section. Do this for every config file. (make sure you save them)

Run the game, even though the settings in the options say it's on high it really is set to very high. If you don't want to or can't run it at very high you can set some of them to very high and keep some at high. Even though it runs on very high, my system still can't handle a playable frame rate during combat when settings are fully maxed out at my native 1680x1050 res so I think I have physics, shaders, shadows, water, Quality, and Game Effects
set to very high and high set to everything else. Plays much better around houses and fighting. If you want to reset it back to default just replace the CvarGroups with the backup and it should return to normal.

It's just a gimmick for MS to sell Vista, there isn't reason that DX10 can't be run on XP, just trying to push their new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom