Red Alert 3 Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey just a quick question to people that've played this.

Is there an option to turn off that retarded yellow outline? I want to give it a shot, but if you can't turn off that yellow outline I'm not going to waste my bandwidth trying it.

I was going to comment on how that outline option for selected units is one of the worst asthetic ideas ever...it looks nasty...especially when its so thick...totally brings down the graphics a whole notch in my opinion, whoever thought of that needs to be fired :p

Yeah it's ridiculous. That outline alone is enough to make me not want to buy or play the game. I don't understand what was going through their mind.

edit~ well I caved, and needed a break from fallout 3, so i got this to give it a shot. So far it's not as bad as I was expecting. i've only played 3 missions in soviet campaign so far.

The yellow line can't be turned off and it SUCKS just as much as I thought it would. bleh.

The building construction mechanic sucks too. major step backwards from C&C 3.

other than that it seems fun so far. the water looks Amazing. Definitely great environments and all the weapon effects and stuff are nice.

Yeah it's ridiculous. That outline alone is enough to make me not want to buy or play the game. I don't understand what was going through their mind.

edit~ well I caved, and needed a break from fallout 3, so i got this to give it a shot. So far it's not as bad as I was expecting. i've only played 3 missions in soviet campaign so far.

The yellow line can't be turned off and it SUCKS just as much as I thought it would. bleh.

The building construction mechanic sucks too. major step backwards from C&C 3.

other than that it seems fun so far. the water looks Amazing. Definitely great environments and all the weapon effects and stuff are nice.

how is the building construction mechanic a step backwards from C&C 3? I was under the assumption it was the exact same

They aren't even remotely the same.

Red alert 3 is confined to a square grid.
C&C3 was fully rotational, as well as certain buildings that could be modified.

The other difference isn't actually bad, you place the buildings and then they build, as opposed to C&C3 where you build them and then place them.

but the grid, however true to red alert 1 and 2 it may be, is still a step backwards, and sucks :/

They aren't even remotely the same.

Red alert 3 is confined to a square grid.
C&C3 was fully rotational, as well as certain buildings that could be modified.

The other difference isn't actually bad, you place the buildings and then they build, as opposed to C&C3 where you build them and then place them.

but the grid, however true to red alert 1 and 2 it may be, is still a step backwards, and sucks :/

They probably opted for the grid system because of all the C&C 3 exploit and placement bugs. You should still be able switch the facings of the buildings because if not well that then can potentially block off factories.

I didn't know about any of the placement bugs and exploits. Wouldn't use them if I did. Anyone that needs to just shows how lousy a player they must be if they have to use em.
Anyway, my point now is downgrading a system isn't an acceptable fix. It's a band-aid because they're too lazy to fix it properly.

And that so Dario? That's freaking weird lol. I've only been able to play soviet so far. Iunno doesn't make any sense to me now :/

Only bug I've run into so far is the Terrible path finding. Really have to walk your troops wherever you want them to go.

Also, I don't know if it's there or not, cause I'm still working stuff out, but the current lack of formations is a bit distressing.
All your troops just line up single file when you go to attack something, then get picked off one by one, just like the older C&C games.
of course you can tell them to go here and there group by group and all that, but a simple formation button would go a long way.
i could just be missing the button or hotkey tho lol.

but like i mentioned. as far as I've played it, it isn't as bad a game as people are letting on. it feels dumbed down and all, but whatever.

I just hope someone comes out with a mod to erase that yellow line. I don't think I've ever hated a game design idea so much in my entire life.

I didn't know about any of the placement bugs and exploits. Wouldn't use them if I did. Anyone that needs to just shows how lousy a player they must be if they have to use em.
Anyway, my point now is downgrading a system isn't an acceptable fix. It's a band-aid because they're too lazy to fix it properly.

And that so Dario? That's freaking weird lol. I've only been able to play soviet so far. Iunno doesn't make any sense to me now :/

Only bug I've run into so far is the Terrible path finding. Really have to walk your troops wherever you want them to go.

Also, I don't know if it's there or not, cause I'm still working stuff out, but the current lack of formations is a bit distressing.
All your troops just line up single file when you go to attack something, then get picked off one by one, just like the older C&C games.
of course you can tell them to go here and there group by group and all that, but a simple formation button would go a long way.
i could just be missing the button or hotkey tho lol.

but like i mentioned. as far as I've played it, it isn't as bad a game as people are letting on. it feels dumbed down and all, but whatever.

I just hope someone comes out with a mod to erase that yellow line. I don't think I've ever hated a game design idea so much in my entire life.

EALA is really one of the worst developers I've seen, I'm going to go out on a limb and just call them flat out lazy, although EA probably gives them ridiculous deadlines and such. They don't support their product enough after its released, C&C 3 probably recieved the most support but their rep is still tainted.

Yeah agreed there. EA in general seems pretty lazy these days. They've got so much money, and pretty much just own everything. I just looked and like half the games on my PC are made by EA lol.
What do they care.
pfff

In RA3 IIRC (only played the tutorial and a few soviet missions)

Allies - build a building at conyard and wait then place it near the construction yard and its nearly instantly made after placing. Difference from CC3 is that if you want to expand the base beyond the MCV you need either another MCV or you take a harvester and deploy it near the edge of the current build limit area.

Soviets - Buildings are built in the field and are vunerable but each building lets you expand the build area and you can build a crane to increase build slots cheaply.

Empire - You build the building at the MCV, then a little unit comes out and you tell that unit where to deploy. The unit then becomes the building but I'm not sure if it expands the allowed build area but your original allowed build area seems to be bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom