Red Alert 2 - Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsp707

Beta member
I have been trying to setup/run Red Alert 2 on my home Wi-Fi network for some time. I have been in contact with the TEA Tech Support but that did not anywhere.

So, I have a Linksys WRT54G Router running in gateway mode. I have installed IPX/SPX protocol stack on both PCs. One PC is win2K the other is XP. Running DirectX 9.0c on both.

I have tried directly connecting the PC via NIC interface instead going thru the router. Still does not work. I can see the one player can forming a game but I can not join from the other one. When I join nothing happens and I can not even terminate the game. I had to use the task manager to shut the game. This happens on both PCs.

Eventually I want to my Wi-Fi router instead a direct connection. But I can even see the other player thru the router.

I played with DXDIAG.EXE but could not make an IPX connection with either the router or the direct RJ45 cable.

Can some help?

I have updated the game from 1.000 to 1.006. Weswood was bought by or part of EA games now. And the tech support did not mention any patches.

you need to configure the IPX/SPX protocol
Select in in my network places/properties and define a unique 8 digit number for the internal network number. (default is 00000000) you can leave this as it is. Then do the same for the external network number. (again 00000000) then set the frame type to 802.3. repeat the above steps on the second machine. FRame type and external network nuymber must be the same for all machines

IPX/SPX configuration

I had the same problem as fsp707 and have a home LAN with 3 pcs, 2 on W2Kpro and the third on W2K server.
My current problem is that The 2 w2kpro machines can now play a game over the network, but the server cannot join them. The server machine just doesn't even see the game.
In IPX config the intrernal number on the server has to be a non zero number in w2k server. however, this should not affect the external number and connectivity, so I am looking elsewhere to find the answer. My impression is that Active Directory controls IPX/SPX traffic, and I need to configure it correctly to resolve this issue.
any help greatly appreciuated
DT

Thanks for your. I can now play the game when I connect the two PC's directly without going thru the Wi-Fi router. BTW, my son is beating me.

I had to change the frame format to 802.3 for IPX protocol stack and use the correct NIC MAC addresses in the Options --> Network configuration for the RA2.

Next step is the make this work with my wireless rounter.

I'VE FIXED IT!
In case you're interested, the answer was to DISable Routing and remote Access Service in Active Directory
Works like a charm!
thanks for your help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom