Rarity of the PC gamer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
After being used to PC games, the low-def graphics of the PS2 and XBOX look totally awful. I used to like the consoles, back in the days of the N64. IMO, this generation of consoles suck big time compared to the PC, while the N64 was better than the PC of that time. I just can't get into the PS2 or XBOX. Maybe PS3 and XBOX360 will be different.

beed, do a Google for the proposed PS3 and XBOX360 specs. I think you'll agree that they're both very impressive- on paper that is. Remember that whenever a new console is released, it's hardware is always ridiculously powerfull*, but it's a good 6-7 months before developers take full advantage of the hardware, by which time it's been matched or overtaken by PC hardware anyway... Branching off topic even further now, but I think the G70 (GeForce 7800) is essentially the same GPU as what's being used in PS3, minus a few bells and whistles, so that makes me kinda proud of my 7800 GTX :D

Naturally the PS2 & XBOX suck compared to a modern gaming PC, those comps are years old now dude.

* Interesting tidbit: I read in a book called The Ultimate History of Video Games, by Steven L. Kent, that when the PS2 was released George Lucas said that it was potentially more powerfull than all the SGI (formerly Silicon Graphics) workstations he used to make Episode 1 put together :amazed:

X-box and PS3 hardware isn't all that impressive at all. For a few bucks more(maybee a few thousand) you can have better graphic quality then a PS3 with dual 7800 gt's. So, consloles suck. And, PC gamers arn't rare, there are plenty of them.

dhw200 said:
I enjoy consoles 2 some extent b cuz i can have a few friends over and we can play games together. Not as good as a lan party, but since there arent many PC gamers around me, its hard to put 1 together

^^thats a big reason why me and my friends still play on the console, multiplayer is way better and easier, it gets boring trying to sub 4 people into a game of css. and we cant just have a lan every night, because some of my friends dont have there own pc.

CAnt say I have ever met another REal PC Gamer. My cousin plays Civ3 but dosnt go any where near FPS but other then that no one. It is so Lonely... As for Console games I can easily say that their are at least 20 decent ones in my grade (me included).

Syn7ax 3rror said:
X-box and PS3 hardware isn't all that impressive at all. For a few bucks more(maybee a few thousand) you can have better graphic quality then a PS3 with dual 7800 gt's. So, consloles suck. And, PC gamers arn't rare, there are plenty of them.

It seems like every one of your posts is about 2 7800GTXs in SLI. If you don't already have that setup, I encourage you to wait for the 7900GTX or 7950GTX, both of them will totally pwn the 7800GTX. Then get 2 of them in SLI. The 7800GTX is a waste of money IMO. Also, quit suggeting it to noobs, especially if they aren't a hardcore gamer or have a limited budget.

PC gamers just must be rare in some areas, mine being one of them. My nearest Wal-Mart is getting ready to quit carrying PC games because nobody buys them. Best Buy in my area has made its PC gaming section drastically smaller than it once was.

none of my friends (except one or two i might be able to think of) have decent computers, and many of them play console; most of them that play PC play cs 1.6 or mmo/rpg's

i only know the specs of the people whose house i've been to, so here's a short list off my head:
dell/2.4ghz/256mb/integrated; he plays CS 1.6
HP/3.0ghz/1.5gb/fx5200; he plays CS 1.6/CS:S/WoW
2.8ghz/512mb/9800pro; he plays cs 1.6/CS:S/WC3/a billion other games
2.4ghz/768mb/6800GT; he plays a CS:S, a lot of single player FPS, and some flight sim's
2.0ghz/512mb/9000pro; he plays CS 1.6 and FFXI

no one really knows anything about computers except a friend who has a 6800GT but can't afford new a computer (he has intel 2.4ghz), all my other friend dont' really give a crap and just wants a computer that works // they play console (teh ghey!)

Well, I like both console and PC gaming. Depends on what I'm in the mood to play. Now, as far as the following by syn7ax 3rror:

The XBox260 and PS3 IS impressive. Not just in the memory size, speed and, well... pure balls but in the architecture is where the true power lies. Of course, that is if they can pull it off. Its like a powerPC (Mac) on steroids, and it WILL take the PC industry a little while to catch up, simply because of the fact that as of now multi core/cell processing has not taken off in that sector AND the power PC architecture hasn't, either. If need be I can further explain what this architecture is or I can send you here:

article 1:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars

article 2:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars

This explains in detail. Note, I'm not calling anyone stupid here by saying I'll explain what it means I just dont know everyones technical prowess. To note, so far the only thing going against them is not having the strength for such things as AI, col detection, etc... but this review is not on the final developement kit and therefore, is based on the far inferior beta kit. So, I'd say it'll be a few years for the PC to catch up, but they WILL catch up and when they do it will be a short time to far surpass what the consoles have in terms of power.

beedubaya said:
It seems like every one of your posts is about 2 7800GTXs in SLI. If you don't already have that setup, I encourage you to wait for the 7900GTX or 7950GTX, both of them will totally pwn the 7800GTX. Then get 2 of them in SLI. The 7800GTX is a waste of money IMO. Also, quit suggeting it to noobs, especially if they aren't a hardcore gamer or have a limited budget.

PC gamers just must be rare in some areas, mine being one of them. My nearest Wal-Mart is getting ready to quit carrying PC games because nobody buys them. Best Buy in my area has made its PC gaming section drastically smaller than it once was.

I have two 7800 GTX's. Dude, don't be jealous.

Syn7ax 3rror said:
I have two 7800 GTX's. Dude, don't be jealous.

Well, most people can't afford or don't have parents who will buy them 2 7800GTXs in SLI, so stop suggesting it to everybody who asks what card they should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom