Problem with HL2 and Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
Here is my problem:

I brought my computer home from college, where I cant access the internet on my pc. I brought it home for the puprose to play HL2. I changed the settings on it so it would save my personal info so I have access to the offline mode.

The problem is that I am unalbe to open HL2, Half Life Source, or even CS:S. But I can open and play the orginal Half Life. It gives me a message that says this is not available for offline mode.

What can I do so I can play HL2? I bought HL2 on steam. I cant believe that Valve would do this so you cant play HL2 when not on line.

Thanks for the help.

You need a disk to play offline, im sure of it. If not, get beedub, he cant play online, i think he can help you better.

It's not the disc. If you purchased the game retail, the game won't start up unless you have the disk in (at which point you get a message that you don't have the disk in).

If you bought online from Steam, you have to have an active net connection to play (at least, to start up).

I bought the game off of steam. I have played the game before when I was at school, online. Now I am at home, and dont have access to the internet with that computer. I have set it up so I can get into steam, but it says its not available offline.

Why would they distribute a single player game that you can not play with out an internet connection?

ShoobieRat said:
It's not the disc. If you purchased the game retail, the game won't start up unless you have the disk in (at which point you get a message that you don't have the disk in).

That's SOOOOO last week.:p

Valve actually released a patch just recently that REMOVES the need to put the disc in the drive for retail players.

Anyways AND_YOU_ARE did you read the quick reference card from Valve on how to turn on offline mode?

You can play HL2 offline. I have done it many times. Go to the manual in Steam for HL2 and it will tell you how.

Also let Steam startup with Windows. When it starts up and senses no connection it will ask you if you want to run it in offline mode.

hu_xu, i bought hl2 over steam, so i dont have the cd's or the reference card. I dont have steam start with windows. but i have it run in the offline mode, were it saves the user files on the computer. but i still cant get hl2 to play when offline. it gives me an error saying that offline content is not available, or something close to that.

where is the manual in steam, i have looked all around steam for help.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
hu_xu, i bought hl2 over steam, so i dont have the cd's or the reference card. I dont have steam start with windows. but i have it run in the offline mode, were it saves the user files on the computer. but i still cant get hl2 to play when offline. it gives me an error saying that offline content is not available, or something close to that.

where is the manual in steam, i have looked all around steam for help.

BTW I know you bought it off Steam I read it. :D

Go to the HL2 icon in Steam. Right click it and click manual. That will link you the reference card or what Valve "considers" to be HL2's manual.

The instructions are on there how to play HL2 offline. It's quite simple.

Where are you using the net from?

I'm guessing it must be from your friend's house or public access since you're typing here.

Anyways if you can here is the offcial support:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...HNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNzQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Also the quick reference card says:

In order to play HL2 offline you need to do 3 things

1) Make sure the "Remember my password" is CHECKED at the login.
2) Login is ONLY in your account.
3) Make sure the "Don't save account information on this computer" on the Steam account settings is UNCHECKED.

Hope it works for you. Post the results. It should work.

Also you HAVE to make sure that HL2 is at 100% complete. If it isn't you might have interupted an update before it completed when you brought it home. In that case, you can't play it until it is fully updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom