Piracy reason PC gaming is dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
This is a touchy subject, but an important one. Please keep your views about piracy itself out of the discussion and just state your views about how you think piracy is affecting the PC gaming market.

This issue has been around for a while, but recently devs are stating that the ONLY reason they are postponing PC releases is because of piracy issues. Ubisoft is vocal on the matter with games such as Assassin's Creed II and EndWar.

If this is true then it's certainly disappointing, but I honestly think they are trying to pull the wool over PC gamers' eyes. It is cheaper to develop for consoles and they can use console gaming as "beta testing" for a PC version.

Here are some other interesting articles on the matter:
id co-owner says piracy killing PC gaming
IGN: Developer Stardock Says Piracy Isn't Killing PC Gaming
TweakGuides.com - PC Game Piracy Examined

What are your guys' opinions on the issue? Again...keep it within the T-F rules!

It's not just piracy, but it's some of the Anti-Piracy methods.
Like games that need can only be activate 3 times.

They are treating the honest buyier like criminals.

I think crappy games are killing the pc market.

How about making games that are worth the cost.

QTFT.

There have been few games that I thought were worth the purchase. I hope 2010 and beyond brings something better to the table..

Honest question (sorry if off topic) - why don't we hear as much from software devs as we are from game devs?

QTFT.

Honest question (sorry if off topic) - why don't we hear as much from software devs as we are from game devs?
You know...that was one of my first thoughts when I read that Ubi stuff. My only answer to that would be that software devs don't have an alternative platform and therefore don't have the PC as a scapegoat.

I edited that part of the post out because I thought it was going too far off topic. But I will put it back.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but still, they have to be losing ridiculous amounts of profits. But I think they see more in sales of 1 unit with a larger price tag versus games that have the smaller price tag and many units sold.

I do see that a lot of PC Game Devs are going to be having to office games as a "Software As A Service" business model. This is where games will need to be tied to some sort of online account like Stream, BattleNet, XBox Live.

But since it's become so easy to get games "free" no one thinks any price is okay.

So wait, you're saying that it doesn't matter if a game is worth getting or not, that people automatically think that any price is terrible?

Sure, because it has nothing to do with the quality of games vs the cost of said games. Yes, people as a whole are stupid, and yes people on the internet DEFINITELY fall under that category, but that in no way excuses game devs from making halfway decent games.

This "piracy killing PC gaming" thing is just like every other group speaking out against piracy, there's no market proof. I'd love to see where they get their numbers.

Not to mention, since when is piracy new? Sure, the invention of the internet sped things up, but people used to use VHS and cassette tapes on tv and radio (respectively) to record things all the time. Heck, even with computer games it isn't new. People would copy floppy disks. They said the same thing back then, that companies would go bankrupt and it would be the downfall of the industries, and guess what? They're still around. Maybe they aren't making as much money from the games and such, but that doesn't mean they're hurting at all.

And, for comedy relief, proof that it's been going on for years and years:

AAAAAAAND more NSFW comedy relief.

I'm not saying anything about the quality. Just as a whole anymore people say that about almost any game "well if it wasn't $50 I'd buy it instead of pirating", and then turn around and repeat it even if it's cheaper.. Sure, there are a lot of games out there I wouldn't pay $5 for. BUT if the quality of the game is so bad it's not worth buying, then don't use it period.

I know piracy isn't either. And Jack's video makes a good point even if he's not being 100% serious about it. Once they lose so much they won't have a reason to continue. Then when that happens, the company falls apart and no more games. I'm aware too that all the "money loses" are theoretical , but if a million people pirate a $50 game you can't tell me that's not a possible $50million the game developers would of had. You can't just say "well they wouldn't of paid anyway so it's not really money lost" because they still spent money to produce it.

I could see the AC2 thing becoming a standard personally. Developers are scared they won't make as much money. So they release the PC version much much later(while the game isn't even improved) so they actually profit from the console sells before they risk opening up the PC market. Plus I'm sure this is the reason why PC's just get crappy ports instead of real games anymore.

But in the end, should game devs use piracy as a way out when their game just sucks? NO, but I also believe there needs to be changes to prevent pirating without the use of things like DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom