Ping #

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Eerybody,
I've been playing online games like BF and Halo bou never really got the ping thing. Someone told be that high ping is bad but low ping is bad too. What ping # should i want? What does the ping represent anyway?

Low ping is better. It is the time it takes a packet of data to travel from your computer to the server and back again. The lower this time, the quicker the data is getting there and back, improving game play.

It's measured in milliseconds, so a ping of 100 would be 0.1 seconds.

Well when im choosing a server I want to know what are laggy servers and which are not.
Thanks
:)

somebody told me that if a server has over 125 ping and is less that 75% full, it will lag. idk if its true, but whatever.

low ping is better

Heyyo,

I like to aim for 80 and down if I can. On BF2 on 64 player servers, it requires pings below 60 to be as lag-free as possible.

diabloII said:
as long as you don't lag, who cares
Just because you can't see any visual lag, doesn't mean you're aren't being adversely effected by your connection.

If your ping is 100, essentially your action registration time is 0.1 seconds. Very often your actions in a game can be much faster than that, so even though the players aren't skipping around like a powerpoint slide, you've got problems. At 0.1 seconds, your shot is pretty much rendered to the fate of netcode and the other player's connections. If you're spraying bullets, your chances of noticing this are lower because there are a lot of bullets experiencing the same effects. However, if you're just shooting one round, you can see the effects quite clearly.

Knowing how the game's player prediction code is effecting you, and how your ping effects that, can help a lot. (Though, mostly only if you are good enough to work with those factors.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom