Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
I've been running the COD2 and FEAR demos for a few days now. Seems that my average fps score is in the 30's for both. A little better than that for COD2 at times though. I thought I would get better fps than that on my current system. What do you all think? What kind of fps have you been getting?

Thanks

Beefcake said:
Well I hear that the demos don't play as well as the full game.

Yeah, I just read that in another thread, but it still worries me. lol I figure I should be doing better than 30 fps for sure.

beedubaya said:
Im taking you are at 1024x768? Make sure you dont have vsync enabled.

Yeah, res is at 1024x768. I turned v-sync off and I had soft shadows on too. My fps was 80-100 according to 'fraps' this time. lol I didnt realize that v-sync and soft shadows would tax my comp that much. I've been under the impression that my comp was pretty beefy. Guess not quite as much as I thought. LOL

Thanks for the help guys.

Your comp should be owning those games...
Well actually I don't know much about the technical requirements for either of them so I can't really talk. But 30 fps seems a little low when COD2 isn't all that visually amazing.

Rapishorrid said:
Your comp should be owning those games...
Well actually I don't know much about the technical requirements for either of them so I can't really talk. But 30 fps seems a little low when COD2 isn't all that visually amazing.

Well, performance in FEAR has gotten better, but COD2 is still only pulling 28-40 fps in the heat of the battle. My comp should be doing much better I would think.

In almost all the CoD2 reviews I've read/watched so far, the game is usually said to run more sluggish than one would expect on med-high hardware. It's no doubt a bug and/or lack of driver support, but for now you should just lower your settings a fraction until if/when the issue is resolved :(. Try turning of AA.

Thanks for the help all. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt a problem specific to my machine. What kind of fps have you all been getting? I'd like to compare to mine.

By the way, I didnt mention this, but when I play I've had the body count set to 'insane'. That may play a small part in the problem too.

Your computer is beefy and all but those games are just super beefy themselves, especially FEAR.....the soft shadows especially are just ridiculous performance killers.

get an Nvsilencer and start OC'ing that graphics card.

I got my 6800GT runnings 450/1200 which is beyond that ultra of yours, not to mention my 1gb of RAM is running DDR500 and CPU is at 2.5GHz which in terms of being compared to an FX is probably about 200MHz behind being equal since Mhz to MHz yours would be faster if mine was at 2.6GHz as well....I still don't run FEAR with soft shadows on though, it just isn't worth it...it's something you'd barely notice and doesn't look that good.

CoD2 however runs beautifully maxed settings except for one setting...I had to turn down 'world resolution' to 'high' instead of 'EXTRA' lol

I never use Vsync either.

Like I said though you should really look into getting an NvSilencer and just OC the crap out of your Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom