PC Gaming is the largest Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea think of it thi way the sims is the most sold pc game in the world, and it isnt very demanding look at all the people playing second life it is a "game" byut still not demanding.

It's hard to get an accurate read on it in America. Gaming, as a hobby and as a profession, is simply not as socially accepted in the US as it is mainly in Asia, but also in Europe.

I guess that explains why America always gets owned in the WCG...oh wait no it doesn't because dedicated clans like team USA ( team 3D ) are sponsered by Nvidia, and just practice CS 1.6 all day...

he PS3 and Wii came out in November 2006, and the Xbox 360 was introduced in May 2005, so the 74.7 million is over several years.

From Q3 2005 till Q3 2008, 196 million gaming PCs shipped, and 10 million of them were in the Mainstream Enthusiast class—and if we include mainstream desktop and High-end high-end notebook, we could add another 187 million units—now that really is a lot.
Jon Peddie Research - Technically oriented marketing, research, and management consulting firm

Without being able to access the full report we won't know exactly what defines "gaming pc" other than they've been divided into several categories. Seems like they include "mainstream" PCs, though, from the looks of it. So that's like a dual core proc and Nvidia/Intel integrated gpu. Not exactly a "Gaming PC" but since we don't know the specifications they're using for sure, the report is pretty much irrelevant right now.

I guess that explains why America always gets owned in the WCG...oh wait no it doesn't because dedicated clans like team USA ( team 3D ) are sponsered by Nvidia, and just practice CS 1.6 all day...

I can't tell if you're arguing with me or not, so I'll assume you are, and say:
Wow, an Nvidia sponsorship. The CGS just died. There are probably less than 10 Americans who can make a living off gaming, and that's pushing it.

There are probably less than 10 Americans who can make a living off gaming, and that's pushing it.

There's way more than that.

And what measures a "market" anyway? How much the console sells? How many games are sold? This argument is stupid. There are some people like Akubane that have all consoles but still play PC games over it, and vice versa. Someone might buy a console and never end up using it. Does this study include console accessories and controllers? If so, did they include gaming keyboards, mice, headsets, gamepads, speakers, graphics cards, and more?

And who's to say someone that plays Minesweeper all day isn't a gamer? :rolleyes:

And what measures a "market" anyway? How much the console sells? How many games are sold? This argument is stupid. There are some people like Akubane that have all consoles but still play PC games over it, and vice versa. Someone might buy a console and never end up using it. Does this study include console accessories and controllers? If so, did they include gaming keyboards, mice, headsets, gamepads, speakers, graphics cards, and more?

And who's to say someone that plays Minesweeper all day isn't a gamer? :rolleyes:

you said it best my friend, imo to look at the pc gaming market one of the most acurate things to look at would be high end gpu purchases, its the only thing i could see beign comperable to console sales. and then the question whats considerd a gaming gpu ??? id probably have to say anything of the 6's from nvidia and u like the 66's the 7600's the 8600's and the 9600's nd really it all aplies by year as usualy its a new line up of cards per year. as for ati the same goes any *6** sold that aplie to that year ie 2008 is 3650 and 4650 and up can be counted as gaming hard ware, and after tallying all those thigns up im sure consoles would pull ahead world wide, and there is the problem of how many nossboosts do we have out there lol, bumping up our figures.

You think so? Obviously Fatal1ty used to make a living off of it... and now he makes it from the market, not from doing it by himself.

Other than that... I don't think coL CS team makes a living off of it.
This is the 2007 CSS Money List: GotFrag eSports - Counter-Strike Source News Story - CS:Source 2007 Money List
Don't forget that some of the money is given to the organization, and then split 5 ways between the players.

We can consider CGS players making a living off of it, although they weren't making THAT much. But now that CGS is dead, it's hard to measure it because the statistics from the past 2 years for CSS and CS 1.6 are ruined.

There may be some people who make a living off of Starcraft and Wc3, but they sure as **** aren't Americans: GotFrag eSports - Warcraft 3 News Story - The Warcraft III Prize Money List 2007

As this is the first year for WoW where people have a chance to make a significant amount of money, there aren't any figures that I can find yet, but I don't think MLG is dishing out enough cash to be split by 3 players and a sponsor to make many of them over like $20k.

I can't think of any other games where people are making a lot of money playing competitively.

Here's the 1.6 Money list from 2007, but it doesn't mean much since most of the good Americans were playing Source in CGS: GotFrag eSports - Counter-Strike News Story - The 2007 Counter-Strike Prize Money List

Still, no Americans making that much.

I can't tell if you're arguing with me or not, so I'll assume you are, and say:
Wow, an Nvidia sponsorship. The CGS just died. There are probably less than 10 Americans who can make a living off gaming, and that's pushing it.

I'm not arguing you with you I'm agreeing with you, but I mentioned there are some americans that still play games all day and get owned in world wide tournies

Yup... we have no chance in RTS, but the top CS/S teams can compete with the euros... it's just CGS ruined the competition for the past 2 years (RIP CGS... even though it caused problems, it was the future of gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom