The orange box

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be started up on the internet once for updates and activation.

After that you can start in offline mode.

If you did the full install off the dvd you should only have a few megs to download

I would recommend just leaving it update overnight.

edit: Also it DOES say you need an internet connection it also STRONGLY recommends a broadband connection. Read the box next time.

so where it says the game has to update when thats complete it will work offline. and i looked at the box, it doesn't say anywhere that it needs a internet connection to work, maybe it was on the tab that i pealed of to open the box where the sys recomendations are. merk i took a screen shot but it won't let me attach it, prob because im on dial up, when i click insert image it says page not found. anyway, at the main game screen in steam i have installed 2 games from the disc, when i launch one it says this game is not ready for ofline play, im guessing that i have to update the games like greyfox said, i'll try that tonight, hopefuly it works.

i doubt there will be a no-cd crack, i'll check for one though, i wasn't able to let the installed games download last night because the internet was down, (thats another thing about internet way out here, it always needs repairs), i'll try tonight hopefully

Perhaps they changed it, but I remember being able to play HL2 offline. Though I did need an initial connection for them to verify the CD key and updates.

when u say update u mean under the status title on the game screen in steam, where its downloading something, because if that all u have to do is let that download then i will most likly be able to use them offline, as long as that what ever its downloading isn't over 40mb.

Ok ok man, i feel your pain, all i can get is dial up aswell. Dont fear, once you have the cd key registered on your account, install on game at a time, during installation it will say caching files or gathering files for installation, this bar will fill up 100%, then stay there for a decent amount of time, because it is downloading files. Took me about 20 minutes during half life 2 installation. Once this is done, it does the actual install which takes about 5 minutes or less. Now its installed, but it will say updating. Since you just bought the game, the dvd-rom comes with the most updated version, with half life 2 these updates took me a matter of minutes only. Once it says 100% completed, game is ready to play, you can play offline. When your online, log onto steam, go the the file drop down menu, and hit switch to offline mode. Once in offline mode, log offline and enjoy your games. Its a very difficult and long process for dial upers such as us, but the games are well worth it. If you havent already, pick up an external (either USB or serial) 56k modem, they get me about 6kb/s and ping 100-300 depending on game. I suggest the trendnet serial modem on newegg, its what i use.

why would i need that, i already have an internal 56k modem. so u have to install all the game then let them download right, i tryed that last night, let it run for four hour with only one game downloading. it didn'tget past 0%. im gona messaround with it for one more night, if it doesn'twork im returning it

External modems are about twice as fast as internals, i can get 6-7kb/s download speeds, and my ping is DSL quality depending on the game. They are also way more reliable IE. never disconnect, never has random hangs or lags, always a beautiful constant connection, best choice for anyone with dial up. You tried downloading the whole game, once you register you cd key onto your account insert the cd that came in the box. When the autorun menu comes up click install. Make sure you are on steam before you click install. On steam a window will come up listing all the games you can install, select only one. Then it will go to the caching/gathering files for install phase like i described earlier.

i did all that, still says the games are not ready for offline play, i gave the cd's to a friend with high speed, he says that he might have a thing that fools the games into thinking that there conected to steam so it would be like playing normal games. but i won't be able to get them back for a week. anyway, thanks for ur input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom