Online Gaming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayr

Beta member
Ok ill try and explain my situation as close as i can:

I recently bought Final Fantasy XI for my computer.
My computer can easily cope with the games requirements and should have no problem playing it.
I have a small network at home from which three computers can acess the internet etc which is Broadband.

Upon trying to install the game I keep getting the Error message:

"Cannot identify Global IP"

This is where the installation process ends.
Ive tried almost everything from Formatting my computers, to reinstalling all network components etc
We even installed the game at a friends house to see if it was the game but it worked fine!

Ive had it for over a week now and its really starting to bug me as all my friends are constantly levelling and playing without me :(

Thanks in advance for any Help!!!

Pliskin

Re:

How would i go about changing to DMZ?

Ive never been that into routers and try to steer clear of them as much as i can but alas i have one and im guessing this could be the problem as everything else is fine but like i said i dont really understand them anyhows so any help is greatly welcomed :)

Nayr

I don't recomend setting a router to DMZ it basically open's your computer to the outside world and you lose the best thing about a router and that is the added security. I would find out what ports the came requires forwarded then forward them. Get your manual out that came with the router and find the IP of the router and log onto it. (ex 192.168.1.1 )

Can you tell us what kind of router you have? If it's linksys, I'd say that's probably your problem. At my mom's I get recieve: 0 as quickly as every half hour, but certainly a few times a day. Then, I have to get up and unplug my router for maybe 1second, plug it back in, and wallah it works. And that's a linksys router.

BUT, at my dad's we use a D-Link router and i swear that thing has never messed up or caused me recieve:0 in my life.

By the way, when i say "recieve:0" or "r0" for short, I mean that I suddenly stop recieving packets of information from the outside world. Like Send and Recieve. When you get r0 in FFXI, you can tell not only because everything stops moving, but there is a connection quality icon in the top-right of your screen that tells you how much information you are sending and recieving.

And yes, when you play FFXI and even during the installation process, you MUST be connected to their servers at all times. If your router messes up, or internet goes out, boom you can't install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom