Oblivion + x1950XT = wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
i thought that the graphics were going to rock with this card but apparently not. its fast, but twitchy when loading new graphics, and the shadows are seriously screwed up. instead of shadows i get this sharp jittery fog that appears near the top of the screen and causes incredibly slow game play.

any solutions? i got the lastest CCC drivers.

EDIT: here are some screen shots

Oblivion3.jpg

Oblivion2.jpg

Oblivion1.jpg

Seems like you got some ARTIFACTS right there buddy, your GPU is problaly running pretty hot, install ati tools and set the gpu fan to 100%, a lot of ppl complaing about the x1950xt running too hot and giving them artifacts

nope temp stays around 60C. but like i said, its only in bits where shadows appear. rarely in the outdoor. so sometimes i dont get it at all, its where i go to.

People need to take my rants into consideration more, I wasn't just complaining about ATI and the x1950xt for the sake of complaining. This card is rubbish, I get the same thing as what you were showing in those pictures and then some. My Resident Evil 4 gets even more twitchy with my card, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance just does not work with my card even with the latest vista drivers. I swapped this card out with a friend's 7600gs and everything seems to work fine.

The x1950xt is a complete piece of trash, I'd say you're only hope would be to crank up the fan speed via ATI Tools or get an aftermarket cooler for it. The best bet would be for you to try to return it to get a replacement (a completley different card if possible). Personally, I decided to live with it until I upgrade to nvidia's next line of gpu's.

People need to take my rants into consideration more, I wasn't just complaining about ATI and the x1950xt for the sake of complaining.

i'm guessing the main reason is by simply saying something sucks, does not solve anyones problems. i'm sorry, but i don't have money to splash like you, so i have to make do with what i have.

The x1950xt is a complete piece of trash, I'd say you're only hope would be to crank up the fan speed via ATI Tools or get an aftermarket cooler for it. The best bet would be for you to try to return it to get a replacement (a completley different card if possible).

a) i have the fan at 100% with ATI tools and with the manual fan speed controller.
b) i have an aftermarket fan which is very good.
c) i bought this card one week ago, i am not buying another one.

i'm guessing the main reason is by simply saying something sucks, does not solve anyones problems. i'm sorry, but i don't have money to splash like you, so i have to make do with what i have.

Well it can prevent more people from buying the card. I do tend to think knowing negatives can actually be more important than knowing the positives of the product. This way you know the worst case scenerios of a card and you can use that to base your buying decision from. I did give many reasons, and I've mentioned things I've done to combat the problem -- nothing worked. I try not to just do mindless *****ing.

a) i have the fan at 100% with ATI tools and with the manual fan speed controller.
b) i have an aftermarket fan which is very good.
c) i bought this card one week ago, i am not buying another one.

That's exactly my point. Something is wrong with the card, and if you bought it a week ago you should be able to return it for an identical replacement or a refund which you could use to buy another card.

That's exactly my point. Something is wrong with the card, and if you bought it a week ago you should be able to return it for an identical replacement or a refund which you could use to buy another card.

but wouldn't have replacing the stock fan with an aftermarket fan void the warranty? and it IS the only game that is suffering. like i said, the glitches only appear in small parts of the game, such as indoors. im still more tempted to think that its a software problem. i can play BF2142, HL2, Just Cause and a few other heavy graphics games, and they all seem to play fine, no glitches and 75FPS or more.

but wouldn't have replacing the stock fan with an aftermarket fan void the warranty? and it IS the only game that is suffering. like i said, the glitches only appear in small parts of the game, such as indoors. im still more tempted to think that its a software problem. i can play BF2142, HL2, Just Cause and a few other heavy graphics games, and they all seem to play fine, no glitches and 75FPS or more.

I'd agree that it could be a software problem, ATI Drivers are horrid -- usually the main cause of problems. You could try Omega drivers to see if they help. but if there is a problem in one game I would say it's inevitable that you will see problems in others eventually.
What Operating system are you running? I know I had more problems in Vista than I did in XP.

Also I'm actually not sure if replacing the cooler would void the warranty; it probably depends on the manufacturer. Also, if you bought it at a retailer like best buy you could probably return it no problem.

I'd agree that it could be a software problem, ATI Drivers are horrid -- usually the main cause of problems. You could try Omega drivers to see if they help. but if there is a problem in one game I would say it's inevitable that you will see problems in others eventually.
What Operating system are you running? I know I had more problems in Vista than I did in XP.

Also I'm actually not sure if replacing the cooler would void the warranty; it probably depends on the manufacturer. Also, if you bought it at a retailer like best buy you could probably return it no problem.

im currently running windows XP after trying vista and hating the horrible amount of resources it uses up. i got the graphics card together (but not bundle) from ebuyer, but i don't know if their good with returns or not.

omega drivers? so there are drivers from other people for the same graphics card? cool maybe i'll google that and see if they're any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom