Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
So I have a laptop. I want to run Oblivion on it, but I can't without an approved videocard? Since laptop's can't really be upgraded, I'm pretty much screwed? Is there any way around it?

No, you're probably screwed.

Oblivion is brutal on systems, and if your lappy doesn't measure up (especially in the graphics department) it ain't happening.

You may want to check out Morrowind, though. It is the one before Oblivion. It may be older, but it rocks. Most say the storyline is much better in Morrowind.

Yeh, I played Morrowind. It is VERY good, but that's kinda why I wanted to play Oblivion. Actually, I was looking stuff up and I found a possible way around it. I posted asking about it in the one hardware forum. Thanks!

I've just read July's PC Zone (UK) and it had this to say-
"No-one should be denied the chance to lose themselves in Oblivion, especially those poor unfortunates who can't afford to upgrade. So this mini-mod enables Oblivion to run on graphics cards that don't support direct X 9.0. Yes, all you Geforce 3 and 4 owners can lose your life to the vast expanses of Cyrodill too." - PC Zone (UK), issue no. 170, page 114.
http://www.oldblivion.com/

Thats why I never seen the point of spending tons of money on a high-end laptop for gaming (other then being rich), you'll be lucky if you can upgrade it at all.

But yea that should allow you to play.

Meh, it's still very limited. They [Alienware] charged my friend 100 bucks just to upgrade the videocard and not to mention the rip-off price for the GPU (because they are the only ones who have them and you can't go to a place like newegg and have cheaper prices). Nvidia and ATI notebook GPUs are put second compared to desktops so when it comes for upgrading your paying a lot of money for less performance compared to a desktop. It's a waste, notebooks just aren't cut to be mobile gaming systems, at least until the market for them adapts like it has for desktops. And as GPUs become hotter and hotter putting new state-of-the-art would turn your laptop into a lap warmer (because of the lack of sufficient cooling in a laptop).

Besides I don't like gaming on laptops in the first place.

FUnny how they have dual 7900GTXs in Alienwares now and some ppl say they are no warmer than a 7500 mobility Radeon. They make them alot different than desktop versions so the heat can be made less and disapate faster. I wouldnt mind playing BF2 and FEAR max settings while im in the air flying to whereever.

I've tried playing Warcraft III on a laptop (with a mouse of course) on a plane and let me tell you, it's not comfortable one bit. Not enough room for the mouse and computer . You could use the built in mouse but that thing sucks for gaming. Most laptops with dual Go 7900 GTXs are probably 19" (at least for Alienware) and I tried WIII on a 15".

Lol why would you want to play SP of BF2 (I am assuming that you don't get high speed internet or even a connection period flying, at least my planes didn't)? :) j/k

Don't forget that the Go 7900 GTX is clocked lower which is 600/1000 compared to 650/1600. It's simple I can build a computer packing Conroe and dual 7950 GX2s cheaper then that. Actually I think the 512MB Go 7900 GTXs cost like 500 or 600 bucks and 7950s are around 550-600. This is what I'm talking about, it's for rich people and your paying more for less compared to a desktop. Alienware's laptop weilding dual GTXs costs 4 and half grand!

http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111165&highlight=dell+fire

I worked on a Dell XPS Notebook about 2 months ago. IT suffered from severe overheating with it's P4 Prescott @3.4Ghz. I cleaned out all of the fans and changed the TIM to AS5. Yet the issue continued. We ordered a new battery, because of the recall and the issue continued. We bought a notebook cooler and the issue continued.

So about a week ago, the women I was working for called me to say that it stopped working all together and she brought it to some PC repair place and when they opened it up they found that most of the inside components were chared and melted. So, she was talking to Dell to see what they could do for her. The Notebook is past it's 1 year warranty, but, hey, they aren't supposed to melt.
- Havoc2k5

Seeing as DELL (along with Alienware, ooo... wait Dell owns Alienware now) is one the biggest manufactuer of gaming laptops and having reports of laptops melting is pretty bad, and thats just from the CPU (and I doubt that the lady had dual 7900s). I mean to say is that yes they can cool it but just how much more can you push it? I mean if it could handle it like you say why do they always have to underclock their GPUs? Not to mention the amount of power you would need to run them at their full potential (the reason why 7950s are underclocked because you would need four 6-pin power cables)

The whole point I made is that unless your rich it's a waste to get a high-end gaming laptop. And I assure you that I would keep my 4 1/2 grand and have to suffer not playing FEAR for a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom