New rig, need fun games

CJxShoTz

Baseband Member
Hello all just did a very nice upgrade to my rig, and I would like recommendations on good games that you would recommend.

I play alot of first person shooters so i would like to stray away from them and get some good looking, engaging games. I have Far Cry 3, DiRT3, Warthunder (WW2 plane fighting) and America's Army: Proving Grounds

What are some fun engaging games with good story lines, and good multiplayer games also? Games that I should have?

PS: I don't like TF2 :eek::rolleyes:

I know you said you play a lot of FPS, but what other stuff are you interested in?

Some good games I could list off. You may or may not like the genres or specific series, but I had some fun with these games.

Skyrim
Mass Effect series
Metro 2033 and Last Light
Far Cry 3 (that you have listed) and Blood Dragon
I too play War Thunder
L.A. Noire
Max Payne 3
GTA (lol)
Starcraft 2
Stalker series (although old, they look respectable with the Complete Mod for each game)
Crysis series (although the first was terrible)
Chivalry Midevil Warfare is a goofy hack and slash that I enjoy
Deus Ex: Human Revolution was decent
Half Life 2 if you haven't already
I'm sure I've missed a lot.

There are also widely popular games that I dislike, for instance LoL, WoW, Dota, other MMOs.

As PP said, we either need a list of genres or list of titles that you also enjoy for comparison.

Mine would be:
Don't Starve
Chivalry: medieval warfare
FTL
Alan Wake
Back to the future (By TellTales)
Walking Dead (Telltales)
batman: Arham Asylum
Bioshock Series
Blood Bowl: Legendary/Chaos Edition
Brutal Legends
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Game Dev Tycoon
Left4Dead series (better with 3 other friends though)
PayDay (1st one's community died. Heard 2nd one is great though)
Prison Architect
Civilization 5

I really don't have alot of experience with the different genres. I'll list things I think i like-

Action Adventure
Adventure
Simulators, like racing, combat airplanes
Some crazy sheeit like Dynasty Warriors but more refined preferably

I'm not very good at games where you have to do something like control an army and have crazy strategy

I'm looking for games that have an engaging story, replayable content/multiplayer, and just fun, graphically appealing games.

I would like a good game maybe in 3rd person where I could be a badass warrior in old times and slash people. I've tried Chivalry MEWF and my experience with it wasn't good but that was on my old rig.

Well, all it takes is to simply try something. Skyrim and Mass Effect both have seriously engaging stories. Mass Effect being both an RPG and 3rd person. Skyrim has countless hours of gameplay if you can get into it, and there are PC killing mods out there to increase graphics greatly over vanilla.

Dragon Age Origins fits your last description well.

Assassin's Creed was fun and that's 3rd person slash...ish.

Simulators. It's old, but Falcon 4.0 was a great F16 sim. I enjoyed NFS Shift 1 quite a bit as what I call a "75% sim" for racing.

I really don't have alot of experience with the different genres. I'll list things I think i like-

Action Adventure
Adventure
Simulators, like racing, combat airplanes
Some crazy sheeit like Dynasty Warriors but more refined preferably

I'm not very good at games where you have to do something like control an army and have crazy strategy

I'm looking for games that have an engaging story, replayable content/multiplayer, and just fun, graphically appealing games.

I would like a good game maybe in 3rd person where I could be a badass warrior in old times and slash people. I've tried Chivalry MEWF and my experience with it wasn't good but that was on my old rig.

So you like Simulators, Hack&Slash, action/adventure..
Don't really like strategy or RTS style games.

You like MP, 3PV, and enjoy something where you are like a warrior type class and a great story. Great stories are normally found in RPG's as well as the 'warrior' types.

I will also go with PP and suggest Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
I can't say anything on Dragon Age since I only played it for an hour on console, but Mass Effect is a 3rd person Sci-fi RPG/Adventure/Shooter...? The genre changes over the span of the franchise so I will list each one
Mass Effect 1: Sci-Fi RPG/Adventure
Mass Effect 2:Sci-Fi Action/Adventure
Mass Effect 3:Sci-Fi Action/Shooter/Adventure

One I would also suggest depending on if you like Superheroes and more specifically...Batman, Batman: Arkham Asylum and it's sequel Batman: Arkham City. It has the Beat-em Up feel with a very smooth combat. It also has a great story. It's the closest I can think of relating to Dyansty Warriors at the moment (BTW, LOVE THAT SERIES. Need to get #7 still).

Walking dead is VERY story driven... Actually it is nearly nothing BUT story. Unfortunately many are turned off by it's point & click style. But it is a DEFINITE must try for anyone who loves story driven games. It is currently on sale this weekend on steam too! All 5 Episodes for $6.75 (Reg. $24.99) for another 33 hours from this post.

If you like the Horror genre... I can recommend Dead Space 1 & 2. Haven't played 3 but heard it lost the 'horror' and went with nearly all action. Ahh well.
Dead Space 1 & 2 are a great Sci-Fi Horror 3PV shooter with a nice story.

I would also recommend Skyrim but that game isn't exactly story driven. It HAS story and a HUGE rich background full of lore and a great open world... but it's awesomeness leans more towards immersion rather than story. Create a character you wish with skills you want and do what you want in the game.

Last but not least, Dark Souls. I am not a huge fan of this game but it does have a big following. It is a 3PV Action/RPG. The levels are actually linear but open enough to provide the illusion of exploration. It is one of those games that isn't for the feint of heart (Those who rage easily). Expect to die very...VERY frequently and by almost BS reasons Such as traps, one hit kill bosses/attacks and so on.

Not much of a story to be honest (if at all) but there is a rewarding feeling knowing that you went from being a complete weakling to stomping earlier foes with ease as you level up.

The lore is the story. Diving into the world, making your own story as you go. Pretty much the point of all TES games, but it's easy for me to see that as I'm a huge TES nut. I have literally spent hours just reading books in the games.

Dragon Age Origins is straight 3rd person RPG with a hint of strategy. You can switch between your characters, change armor and weapons, deal with gold and buying things, all kinds of RPG type stuff.

Stalker is a shooter RPG in a post apocalyptic type fictional world based around the explosion of the Chernobyl power plant. Super fun if you can get into it, but it can be difficult at times.

I agree with the Mass Effect trilogy, and Dragonage series based on your written preferences. I think Skyrim is very story driven- it just different in that is it actually your story based on your actions in the game. I am not big simulator guy- so cant comment on them.

Back
Top Bottom