Need some input on a video card I just bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Solid State Member
Hi,

Just bought a GeForce 6800 GTOC 256MB GDDR3 AGP 8x/4x video card and ran a few tests on it with some games that I play. I would very much appreciate any input anyone could give me. :)

So after installing the latest nVidia drivers (77.72 for XP/2000), I decided to try out one of the games I play that I thought would be a perfect test, Battlefield 2. I played online with anywheres from 30 to 60 players with a resolution of 1024x768, and all other settings on High. I was quite suprised that when I joined a server(on which I would always ping between 50-150), I would start off a little laggy and then afterwards have to put up with the odd "chopiness".

So after being a little disappointed with BF2, I decided to give Counter-Strike: Source a try. It seemed to run quite well on a 22 player server. Sometimes my FPS would drop to the mid 30's, but I never notice anything in-game. Had all the settings as high up as they can go, and to my eyes, everything seemed fine. Also gave Red Orchestra(WWII Mod for UT2k4) a try and it ran fine just like Counter-Strike: Source.

These are my specs:

P4 2.8Ghz
Asus P4P800S Motherboard
1G of DDR PC3200 Ram
GeForce 6800 GTOC
SoundBlaster Live Sound Card

(You need alteast a 300W Power Supply for the GeForce 6800GTOC, which I do have. I've got an AOPen ATX-300GT)

So basically what I'm wondering, is what I described above normal? Maybe I was expecting too much.

I have one last quick unrelated question. I use EVEREST Home Edition to find out stuff about my PC and it also shows me what tempurature my CPU and Motherboard are running at. Below is what is says for both:

Motherboard - 36C (97F)
CPU - 47C (117F)

This might sound stupid, but what is considered "normal" temperatures for your Motherboard and CPU?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Den

1.) normal temperatures
2.) mid 30's? i have 3200+/1gb ram, which is better than yours, but your card is much better than mine (i have a 6600GT)
3.) you're getting worse fps than me...well at least in CS:S
4.) BF2 screws up on a lot of computers..it just might have screwed up on yours (its pretty buggy)
5.) use the latest OFFICIAL drivers, not the latest drivers... (dl 71.89 @ nvidia.com)

Try games that are offline, instead of online. You arent isolating what could be your problem, as it could very well be your internet connection or the server.

Heyyo,

Yes! benchmark results! w00t! :D

a 3D Mark is good since there's a thread on them, you could then see what kindof systems are cranking out preformance around the same as yours. I just downloaded 3dmark05 myself, gonna be painful to see the score, lol. :p

beta driver's are cool, but yes, some are bad as they aren't tested. Latest official releases are usually a safe bet.

Now, for PSU's it's really a rule of thumb to take the minimum requirements of the biggest power-sapper in the comp, and add an extra 50W's ontop of that to be safe. So if you bought that PSU anytime soon, I suggest returning it and getting a bigger one. If they won't take it back see if you can get store credit man, that usually works.

Now, HL2/CSS is on the source engine, which is ati optimized, so if it doesn't run like you dreamed of on the highest quality settings? that's why. Here's a fix I found:
http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_10.html

Look for "Large Performance Boost for Nvidia Cards" but NOTE: VAC might detect this as a cheat and ban your SteamID. So I say only use this for SP, not MP.

Funny, nvidia vidcards aren't good with FP32 shaders, and are only good in FP16 shaders... and vice versa. That's why D3 runs bad on ATI vidcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom