Need help with Steam/HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCsurf98

Solid State Member
I recently built a new PC and installed HL2 from the DVDs. When I log on to Steam, the engine updates, and CSS updates on the "My Games" tab and says "100% - Ready". However, HL2 says "Pre-load complete" and when I try and run it, it tells me I need to purchase again.

I have run HL2 off of a different computer in the past, and I no longer have the retail box that it came in, which includes CD keys. Is there any way to reactivate HL2? I'm not sure what to do since I'm not sure what the problem is...

I've submitted a support request from the website, and have not received a response.

That is strange because when I installed HL2 on a computer I had many years ago it installed Steam as well. Well here recently I installed Steam again (new computer) to play GTR-Evolution and when I did all my steam games where there to install again. I was able to install CSS, HL2 and HL2 MP all from my steam account. Worked like a charm. No CD needed or anything.

Can you not right click on HL2 in Steam and select install?

In the past this is how it has worked for me, but now for some reason, Steam has forgotten me...

When I right click HL2 it only has the option to purchase.

Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall directly from Steam? I'm not sure that would work since Steam doesn't seem to have any record of my purchase.

I would just contact Steam about it. Sounds very odd. If you used steam/HL2 on a different computer in the past that game should be available on any computer you log into now.

Well, I've been in contact with Steam customer support, and they've been unable to help. They can't find my account with the email addresses I've provided (I've provided every email address I've had over the last five years - there are only three). The last time I played HL2 was over three years ago. Is it possible that my account got purged after years of inactivity?

This is exceptionally frustrating because I have the retail CDs, and the box they came in, but I don't have the manual/CD keys. There's even a price tag on my box (I payed $55 for this sucker)!

It wouldn't be so bad if Steam customer support didn't take three days to get back to me after I reply.

Thanks for the help!

No there is no way it purges off. Like you I played this game many years ago and then I just stopped PC gaming for like 5 years basically. I never even used Steam that whole time. Then when I got back into it I bought GTR-Evolution which requires you to have Steam. It automatically downloaded Steam and when I logged in all those games where there. I was really surprised, I pretty much forgot about HL2 and CCS

You might be able to ship them the box and disks in return for a digital copy. "might". I don't know why that you be out of the question. Especially if you still have the receipt of purchase.

Well, I've been in contact with Steam customer support, and they've been unable to help. They can't find my account with the email addresses I've provided (I've provided every email address I've had over the last five years - there are only three). The last time I played HL2 was over three years ago. Is it possible that my account got purged after years of inactivity?

This is exceptionally frustrating because I have the retail CDs, and the box they came in, but I don't have the manual/CD keys. There's even a price tag on my box (I payed $55 for this sucker)!

It wouldn't be so bad if Steam customer support didn't take three days to get back to me after I reply.

Thanks for the help!

No way. they would never delete accounts, many people would have purchased over 10games on steam, costing over £200. They'd be took to Trading Standards if they closed your account with games you purchased from them.

Steam customer support sucks, fortunately i've never had to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom