Need help, my pc good... games run bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
XP Sucks though... you cant change any of the settings... AND my brother with a WORSE computer has 2000!!!!!! Why does his work and mine doesnt??? I think I will completely reformat both drives and start new... just save my save games, music and downloaded programs.

Oh and also, in morrowind, it is kinda wierd. I dont mind the loading so much, but for some reason I have to set the view distance almost all the way down. It is kinda annoying, I can set the resolution to 1024x768 (I usually have it something like 1152x864 or something) When I take the view distance up any the fps goes down to about 10 to 15. When I take it back down it goes up to 30 to 40, and about 100 to 120 inside. Maybe the FX series cant handle open areas, I know battlefield has some wide open areas. I thought the FX series was pretty decent, but maybe I should go back to ATI.

Nvidia has a wonderful thing called distance fog, which totally messes up gameplay at times......

Do you have the latest graphics driver for your card? That is a big must.

I have had 2000 on my PC before, and there was nothing but problems, and games more often than not would not work. Now that I have XP there have been little problems... (touch wood)

As part of my job at work, I have been upgrading all PC's to XP from 2000 and NT. And what a difference in overall system performance.

As long as you put all the XP menus to "Classic View" you are actually looking at a "Beefed" up version of 2000. I had my doubts with XP when it first came out, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sometimes it seems to be the luck of the draw, I mean Max Payne 2 ran absolutely amazing on my PC with everything cranked up, but X2 ran like a bag of crap with everything screwed down.

I am not going to XP.... it is for a regular home user. I tryed getting into regedit, which I did... and I couldnt find anything. 2000 is for me.. I like to get in and customize my system, also 2000 is better for networking, which I have my own home network. I know 2000 takes a lot of resources from a pc, but most of my gaming friends have 2000 and games run very nicely.

From what you guys have said... I should probably just reformat everything. I have had a couple of viruses since the last time I formated, and spyware issues. I think there might be some lingering little ***** in my computer. The virus I was talking about that no anti virus can detect.. the ms-023 or whatever, only effects win 2000. It shouts down a process called scv host. Now for some reason in my processes list I have at least 2 scv hosts running. I dont think this is right......

XP Pro has absolutely all the features of Win2K .....I donno what option ur unable to find ..

ANywayz ..that's not the issue here .. U metion in ur post that u find multiple instances of svchost.exe...

Svchost is an application that works as a host process for services that run from dynamic link libraries.
It's a type of replacement for the rundll command in older versions of windows like win98
So it's not a virus... U can see more info on Svchost here

I know scv host isnt a virus. I had a virus that would make the error come up that says... "scv host has generated error and will be shut down". Then another scv host would come back in its place. Then the virus was in effect after that. You couldnt view some web pages, control panel was ****ed, you couldnt see anything in add/remove programs, and you couldnt copy paste anything or move or copy any files. I got the virus worked out by downloading windows updates. I just didnt think that scv host should be listed under the properties more than once. I thought this would be an effect from the virus. I never noiced the process before I was researching the virus.

I got this problem figured out. I talked to one of my pc gaming friends and this all started happening after I upgraded my motherboard ram and cpu. I upgraded from some Abit board, 1800 amd cpu, and 2 sticks of 256. This is what I put in my brothers computer, which is running everything nicely. The only think I have thats the same as before is my DVD Rom, CD Burner, 30 gig hard drive, and 80 gig hard drive AND my installation of win 2k. My friend told me that when you install windows the installation is centered around the motherboard. I had an abit with some model number, and now I have an asus A7V8X-X. I think all I have to do is reinstall windows.

you can go to the device manager and uninstall the motherboard related resources (Under system devices). That will force your computer to reboot and look for updated drivers.

Scvhost can be a virus... (although it is a system service)

It is not un-normal to have 4 instances of scvhost.exe running at once.

There is however a virus that stops you from getting on the net, and does some nasty things and it creates a process called scvhost.exe which it runs under. Its quite clever. I think it could be called the Nachi worm.

Win2000 vs XP - I'm sorry but XP professional is a lot better that win2000, and has all network features that win2k has. WINDOWS XP is built on WINDOWS 2000 - but they have removed a lot of bugs - XP was originally built for the Goverment to use as an operating system, but it was later decided to be released as a commercial product.

Gimme the money, I will buy the professional edition.

I am just gonna reinstall everything, that way I am sure there is no lingering virus, and my motherboard will be working perfectly with my operating system. I loaded all the drivers from the CD, but my friend (who has a job with computer hardware) told me that is not enough, and the installation of windows centers around your motherboard. He said whenever you get a new motherboard, you might as well install windows again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom