My observation between Crysis and Crysis Warhead on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
ok so i got Crysis: Special Edition for $20 on black friday at Gamestop. I installed the game, updated to patches 1.2 n 1.21.

in Crysis, the settings i set is everything on Very High except Shadows on Low and i actually had Motion Blur set to Very High, so i changed it to Low just in case for increase in performance. Kept the bar in the middle that u adjust for this setting if turned on. Anyhow, i ran Crysis at 30-40 fps average. I did start to go to combat n my fps dropped to 20-30 fps average.

now check this out, closed out of Crysis n started up Crysis Warhead. Settings are Enthusiast except for Shadows on Performance and, this time, turned on Motion Blur to Performance, turned up the bar to the middle like in Crysis. I run the game at 20-25 fps average. In combat, fps drops around 15-20 fps. Trees flicker a lot from far distances.

Crysis game has been patched 3 times, Crysis Warhead hasnt been yet, only Crysis Wars has, twice. Now i havent tweaked Crysis yet but i want to. I have done triple buffering in Crysis Warhead though. Understanding that there is "Ultra_High" settings, i would like to set Crysis to those settings and see what average fps i get.

oh n i just want to ask a question about the graphics in Crysis Warhead. If it looks better and is better optimized, then did Crytek use the "Ultra_High" settings for Enthusiast. In other words Ultra_High = Enthusiast in Crysis Warhead?

well, ultra high is simply "Crysis Very High" but with the variables maxed out (there's only maybe 10 or so variables from the hundreds in the config that are not maxed out in Very High settings), it performs worse, of course, than "Very High". There's optimized custom graphics configs that really play around with the variables a lot and just makes the game look and feel almost entirely different while adding some of the Very High features while still having equal performance to "High" by sacrificing some things and increasing others, some people refer to this as Ultra High, but there are some sacrifices made here and there to accommodate the "Very High" stuff like light rays, shader quality, ground debris relief, etc..

In Warhead, they've done other things.. I have noticed that they use a lesser quality of texture compression that probably works faster, but textures look slightly worse, and they've tweaked the LOD system too, I'm sure they've gone beyond just editing the config variables, they've probably trimmed out the core code for the game to be more efficient too.

I suggest getting the CCC pack which is a custom config which makes the gfx look just as pretty and have better performance ( in other words the custom config lowers settings of stuff your less likely to notice ). The official CCC pack is somewhere in the official Crysis Warhead forums

well, ultra high is simply "Crysis Very High" but with the variables maxed out (there's only maybe 10 or so variables from the hundreds in the config that are not maxed out in Very High settings), it performs worse, of course, than "Very High". There's optimized custom graphics configs that really play around with the variables a lot and just makes the game look and feel almost entirely different while adding some of the Very High features while still having equal performance to "High" by sacrificing some things and increasing others, some people refer to this as Ultra High, but there are some sacrifices made here and there to accommodate the "Very High" stuff like light rays, shader quality, ground debris relief, etc..

In Warhead, they've done other things.. I have noticed that they use a lesser quality of texture compression that probably works faster, but textures look slightly worse, and they've tweaked the LOD system too, I'm sure they've gone beyond just editing the config variables, they've probably trimmed out the core code for the game to be more efficient too.

oh ok, so Ultra High isnt worth it then? I would like to try it just to see how my system would handle it.

I suggest getting the CCC pack which is a custom config which makes the gfx look just as pretty and have better performance ( in other words the custom config lowers settings of stuff your less likely to notice ). The official CCC pack is somewhere in the official Crysis Warhead forums

that would be nice.

still though, i expected to run Crysis with worse performance overall then Crysis Warhead, it's just wierd.

still though, i expected to run Crysis with worse performance overall then Crysis Warhead, it's just wierd.

in my opinion I didn't really feel Crysis Warhead ran too much better then regular Crysis ( small boost ) and it definately didn't look any better to me even at the higher graphical settings I was running at. The CCC pack helps though, try it out.

warhead runs better, but its also a more intense game.

I ran it most of the time @ 1680x1050 on gamer with some AA, but dropped it down to 1440x900 to get some more frames and it still looked very good.

Another trick it to make sure if you have an Nvdia card, that you go into the advanced options in the control panel and tweak the settings for high quality.

I think the performance gain in Warhead was pretty substantial, but I noticed the big gain when I had 4gb in. Before that the performance was worse than Crysis. That was with all settings on Enthusiast and a 1440x900 res, motion blur turned to Gamer. I was averaging about 30 fps with highs in the 50's. I never hit 50's in Crysis and was lucky to even get high 30's.

That being said...the game was so intense that there really wasn't enough time to admire the visuals...:D

I think the performance gain in Warhead was pretty substantial, but I noticed the big gain when I had 4gb in. Before that the performance was worse than Crysis. That was with all settings on Enthusiast and a 1440x900 res, motion blur turned to Gamer. I was averaging about 30 fps with highs in the 50's. I never hit 50's in Crysis and was lucky to even get high 30's.

That being said...the game was so intense that there really wasn't enough time to admire the visuals...:D

heh that reminds me I never tried Crysis Warhead with my 4 gigs of ram upgrade ( well technically 3.25 since I'm on 32 bit xp ), although I'm skeptical of seeing any performance boost :p

I was playing it on Vista x64 so all 4 were registered. It was surprisingly quite a big boost in performance.

Warhead gave me a 10-15fps boost over crysis on average. 1920x1200 all settings topped out dx10. That's substantial enough for me. Kinda weird how it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom