MMORPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two costs a year is actually cheaper. If they both cost fifty bucks each, then that's a grand total of a hundred a year, which is even cheaper than a ten dollar a month subscription fee.
I'm not really sure how you do your math, but if I pay $40 dollars 12 times (12 monthly payments) that's $480. If I pay only twice a year, that's 2 payments of $240, which adds up to $480. Where it got cheaper to pay only two times instead of one, I don't know. I've taken courses in quantum physics, but I still can't figure out how $480 doesn't equal $240+$240.

But anyway, it doesn't matter how they split up the payments...they still have the same costs, and you're technically still paying a subscription...Just on a longer period.

And it is BS in my mind, my opinion, it isn't BS to you, or anyone else that plays MMORPGs. I don't think monthly subscription for games is justified, and I never will. Simple as that.
Okay, fine, it's not BS.

So tell me, where do you get your free servers, developers, support personnel, programmers and testers, and content creators? I want to know how you get all that for free, 'cause for some reason the companies making those servers and the people hired to operate them and the developers making the games and the poor support people who have to put up with the idiot users...all want money.

Money's gotta come from somewhere. MMORPGs aren't like normal games, and they're expensive to opperate and develope. Much more expensive than normal games.

I'm sorry I treaded on your WallGreens world. I wish I could come in and build a gaming company for free and never have to pay anyone or for anything. Must be nice.

But yer right, it's BS to pay for service-based products.

I hate paying my phone bill. It's bull crap that I should have to pay for the service.

I like taking showers, but I shouldn't have to pay for water service, or for the guy who makes sure I always have water. Those pipes fix themselves, and the lakes and streams divert water to my showerhead automatically by acts of God.

I shouldn't have to pay for cable, either. I mean, I bought the TV. They should be able to run the cable infrastructure on the $200 I spent for the rest of eternity. Upgrades are free, and the cable line attached itself by magic. The cable lines never break, and when I need support, Jesus Christ teleports a technician to my doorstep for free and feeds him and his family for nothing!

Paying for services is BS. These companies must think things cost money or something. What crap...

Where did you get your costs? What are you talking about? I am saying that, if they release two expansions a year for fifty dollars each, that is only a hundred dollars a year. What is this 40x12 payment you are talking about?

It's an example.

Make it whatever you want.

Say you spend $10 a month. That's $120 a year for monthly subscription, or two payments of $60 for boxed bi-yearly subscription.

So if it costs the company only $100 to support you for a year, it doesn't really matter how they make you pay that. Whether they force you to go to a store and pay taxes and fight with store stocks and unavailability and getting screwed by software pirates, or paying a subscription and just downloading...it's all the same. You're either going to pay two $50 chunks (plus tax at the store) or you're going to pay $8.33 a month.

If you're paying the same amount, why can't you get the extra content either way?

When you buy from a store (rather than paying subscription) all you're getting is a box, store hassel, TAXES, and the possibility of the store running out of copies. Not to mention that a subscription service is much harder for software pirates to get to, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

There is no guarntee that they will give you extra content with a monthly pay basis, but at least with an expansion pack, it is a frickin' promise

dude, i play FFXI. so does my wife... i wouldn't pay 2 subscription cost / month if it was BS!!
there are constant updates, and extra content... the game adapts to the avg level of it's palyers. as most of them started from Japan and high levels now where the game was released well before here in the US there are constant updates, upping the level caps and adapting to keep them in the game and make sure it doesn't end for them.

when i stop and think about the number of people it takes, gosh, let alone the hardware... i think of all those mouths that need to eat... (MEAT) ;) . how is it so hard for you to see the manpower it takes to keep these things running, be it a download here or there or buying a box in a store... it's the same thing... that manpower requires money to support... you would not have your game if the makers and all who support it go hungry for a year to get it to you!!!

that's just as bad as the mentality of those who pirate software!! it doesn't come from nowhere!!! there are honest people like you and me working for these palces, and the purchase of these products, the subscription fees provides us with an up to date and reliable product we are happy with, while allowing these people to go home to thier families and provide a roof over thier heads and food on the table!!!!

NO PROGRAMER IS A GUY IN A CAGE, these are not SLAVES there to create you personal enjoyment, so why should it be free!?!? if something is offered free you should be gratefull that it's creator allowed it to be so out of the goodness of thier heart with the desire to share with others. this happens b/c that's not how they make thier money :::duh:::

get a grip and pay for it monthly or twice a year, who cares... or DON'T and DON'T paly, it's your choice...

if you want to play... you pay!! simple as that... call it what you want, but it's a service.

i'll be sure to tell the cable company that i paid for the box, and the TV so the monthly charge is BS next month... and we'll see how long i have cable!!!

well go ahead and do that! Maybe expansions just give me a sense of security or something! Maybe the pretty box in the store gives me more hope then giving in money every month! Who knows!? Who cares!? I have my preference for "pay to play", and I don't like the monthly subscription rate. Oh, and for your information, I have an idea at what it costs to run everything on an MMORPG. I did my research, and just cause it requires the monthly subscription to keep it going, doesn't mean I have to like the way it is set up.

An example of what I know is that: It is actually so expensive for some of the technical support teams for certain MMORPGs, that if you spend as much as one single hour a month with a member of tech support over the phone, you've actually ate away what your monthly subscription fee handles, and then into some of the company's profits!

Bottom line: I prefer expansions, it is kind of a set in my mind type thing. But even if I did do the pay to play thing, I would only do it for one, World of Warcraft, and that is shot to hell because I've heard that the PVP sucks, and if that sucks, I can't loath in my days of destruction and being ambushed by sixty seven good guys and being slaughtered for my crimes...heheh...good times. But even if not that, it would be FFXI, but, it is heavily team oriented, another thing I don't like. Unless someone could recommend something with awesome PVP, enough updates and additions to make up for no expansion packs, a low monthly subscription fee (no more then, say, fifteen bucks), something that will not consume my every breath trying to have a nicely leveled bad ass, and something that is as team oriented as it is solo, then I wouldn't even consider any MMORPG. Yes, I know MMORPG means Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, but I don't like teams...most of the time, unless I am trying to hunt them down.

Oh and no Everquest, it irritates me.

Whether you like paying the subscription or not is not what me and Roshi are talking about...

What we're talking about is that paying a subscription is not bull-shyt.

It's not unreasonable or unwarranted. The fact that you don't want to pay is immaterial.

**sighs**- It is BS to me...to ME! I don't like how it is set up, so it is BS to ME! not you, not him, ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom