MMORPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenacious D

Solid State Member
Hey guys. A friend yesterday was 'trying' to get me into these MMORPG games. Can someone explain the basis of these games, what you do, is it fun, etc. I play FPSs, no RPGs. But my buddy said that I might like this genre of games, b/c of the multiplayer online ability. What are they like? thanks.

Well I tried to get into playing them also and found that I dont have the time needed to keep up with those who play allday. I in turn have a life that is filled with work, family and so on and so on. Not to say they are bad, you just need time in your day for them.

Dave

I've often thought about joining an MMORPG, but those thoughts never get very far.

I don't need an MMORPG...my girlfriend is my MMORPG.

What do you do? Ive seen my bud play WoW once, but I had no idea of what he was doing or what he had to do. He was too caught up in the game that he couldnt hear what I was saying. If i dont like RPGs, will I have a chance at liking MMORPGs?

If you dont like the system (everyting is stat/level based) in RPGs, you will not like MMOs. But the game experience itself is completely different. Depending on the one you choose, it looks like you'll want to join WOW due to your friend, the time commitment needed varies. WoW is pretty easy as far as leveling up and getting to the top, or so I have heard from dozens of people.

A typical routine in Lineage 2 (the MMO I used to play) went like this
>Go out to your favotite huntspot and grind for experience/cash (you'll do this about 75% of the time and it is more boring than just about anything). You chat with nearby player to help alleviate the monotony
>Every once in a while, anywhere from 2-5 hours, make a run to town to check out eqipment for sale, buy supplies, ect
>Every once in a while, depending upon your peronality, you'll try to get a party together and have soem actual fun. After about 20 min of getting it together, the group decides that the area they are in is too easy for their number. So, 20 min later, you arrive at a harder spot that you alone can't solo in, so after about 1 to 2 hours, the party breaks upa nd you have a 20 min walk back to where you can actually hunt
>Every 3-5 weeks, you spend an entire day trying to sell your weapon/armor for a decent price so you can buy a better set/weapon from soemone. But you have to be careful, or you ight not have enough to buy a new whater you just sold. If that's the case, you are screwed for as much as a week untill you get luck and find someone selling what you want.
>Once or twice a week, you go explore a new area, possibly get into a party, and have the best time of your life.

I know that doen't sound like a pretty picture, but that's how a I had to play to keep up with my clanmates. If you dont join a clan tho, you can take more time to smell the roses, but will miss out on the comraship, the large scale world politics, clan wars, castle seiges (in Lineage, at least), ect.

The bright point for those that can't become totally immersed in the sheer beauty and fantastic atmosphere of the virtual world (I was for the first week, then it sorta wore off) is the endgame, when you are so rich and powerful you can just take it easy, help some new plaers, and generally relish in your accomplichment. I think WOW will demand about 6 weeks of solid (20+ hours weekly) playtime to get to the top. Lineage would take over 8 or 9. With a freind to help you, you'll progress pretty fast during the early levels, and will havv a lot more fun htroughout than I did. Also note that my experiences and routines are, as I have said, based of Lineage 2, which arguably has the hardest grind in any of the big MMOs today.

I would devote a day to going over to your friend's house and playing on of his alternate characters or starting one of your own on his account (if WOW lets you do that). That's the only real way to tell if you'll like it.

basically putting it as living an online life....that takes alot of time from your real one. I tried everquest and it was just a hassle to keep up with.

Don't waste your money on any MMORPG's, because paying to play sucks, and besides that, they are to time consuming. Wait for the arrival of Guild Wars to try MMORPGs, as it takes very little time, in retrospect to every other MMORPG out there, to reach, what is considered, a, "high level", and it is free to play online! It doesn't consume your life and is free! What more do you need?

If you are outgoing and can type quickly, then you will like MMORPG's.

These don't have to suck your time. At the end of the day, it's your choice to play or not. When you do find the time to play, make the most of it by creating groups yourself and not relying on others to do it.

-L-

I don't play MMORPGs because of one simple reason - I'm not going to pay a monthly fee just to play a game! And even after the PURCHASE PRICE!? No way!

Guild Wars is going to be free though... I'm going to snatch that thing up as soon as it hits shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom