Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it might look bad but KoF I'm going to give you the double standard. You are an active member and you haven't given me a reason to not trust you so you may be one of my first OPs. :thumbsup: and it was your idea. :p

This will be an unofficial Tech-Forums server. The whole relation between the 2 will be only that you must be an active TF member to set foot in it. My IP is going to be exclusive and only available through PM from an OP or myself and for security reasons the IP will be dynamic from week to week or maybe night to night as seen fit.
If we get to opening night and we're good to go I'll ask the Admins for any kind of approval.

As far as modding. I am on the fence about it. We will have nights where it'll be no mods lets build something nuts the right way and some nights will be free for all with mods have at it.
I don't love the idea of everyone being able to mod. I do have the cmd prompt right next to me so if there is a case that requires cheating for whatever reason I can do it but we'll see in the testing what the best approach is.
Kmanmx: Send me a PM with some good mods so I can take a look.

Synergy: You don't need to have tons of experience ****, I'm just learning this as I go as far as the server and MP goes.
I just need a few good guys to be OPs so I'll put you on the list. So you get that first chance.

OP Applicants:
KoF
Synergy

Anyone interest in helping out give me a :thumbsup: at the start of your post.

:thumbsup:
I would like to participate in this Minecraft server, I have a little experience from when I hosted my own server that may prove useful (this experience is with the server that Notch provided and not custom server software).

Testers
List closed:
KOF Ripsaw
Synergy
Overlord20
Ghost1321 (your lower than 250 posts too but you are a trustworthy member and I was a little harsh at 250 lol)

Not everyone is guaranteed an OP spot and if your not on the list it doesn't mean you can't be one. This is just a test group.

I am trying to get this started by, at the latest, early next week. This week is just really tough as I have a huge work contract this weekend and I'm behind school this week. Hope you guys understand first things first. We've all been there no?

Shall I make an official post for this with rules and info?

Testers
List closed:
KOF Ripsaw
Synergy
Overlord20
Ghost1321 (your lower than 250 posts too but you are a trustworthy member and I was a little harsh at 250 lol)

Not everyone is guaranteed an OP spot and if your not on the list it doesn't mean you can't be one. This is just a test group.

I am trying to get this started by, at the latest, early next week. This week is just really tough as I have a huge work contract this weekend and I'm behind school this week. Hope you guys understand first things first. We've all been there no?

Shall I make an official post for this with rules and info?

I understand, and yes, we have all been there.

I believe that an official post with rules and info would be best. Then, there will be everything presented in a couple posts that should help prevent confusion.

On a side note: always use the stop command to close he server hosting software, do not just close the server (red "X"). I learned this myself the hard way, hehe.

I would have to suggest permitting experienced/knowledged users both ingame, and through server hosting, especially in the areas and fields of mods and additional media.

With the discontinuation of Hey0, and the upcoming release of Bukkit, it would actually be beneficial to postpone hosting a server.
There are very critical mods and additions that can help organize large masses of people, depending on the genre of a server, be it RP, freebuild, etc.

Also take into consideration of your player load on the hosting, 20 people can really bug down a server, be sure you plan large enough to accommodate the load.

A friend of mine from the UK actually has an active MC server hosting company, and helps run support and suggestions, he would be a beneficial contact.

And as a final note, a 'test' shouldn't need more than one person.
The only testing required would be for server load/lag.
Maybe opinions on generated terrain.

The server I frequent is in test server mode with some randomness while we wait for bukkit to release. I was checking out some minecraft server hosting and it can get expensive. The game does take considerable resources.

4gb of ram and a decent net connection should be able to host a good 40 + people though.

EDIT:

Just researched it real fast and minecraft uses about 100mb a player. So if you restrict the world to a decent size and the players stay around each other (In the same area-ish) then it might a bit less. So 4gb of ram will be able to handle about 40 players if there is nothing else on the machine sucking power.

Hiddin Virus had already brought to my attention the need for a borderlands mod to keep people from wasting ram by wandering off so I believe I shall have that fixed prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom