Max Payne 3 System Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I'm pretty psyched for this game.

They have released some system requirements. Though they don't seem very useful, there is no statement of what setttings these requirements will give us. Instead they just seem to be the range from what it will run on at minimum, through to the most powerful config it will support.

Max Payne 3 PC System Specifications

Operating System:
Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3

Processor:
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ - i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ - FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:
2GB - 16GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA® 8600 GT 512MB VRAM – NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM - Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM

Sound Card:
100% Direct X 9.0 compatible – Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live

HDD Space:
35 GB

I can not believe they are saying the reccomended is a six core processor, gtx 680 and 16gb ram. No way. That *has* to be just the range of specs supported. Notice the 35GB of HDD space required as well.. wowza.

They go on to talk about the PC version:
Developed in parallel with the game's console versions, Max Payne 3 for PC supports DirectX11 including tessellation, as well as a number of additional advanced graphics options and is optimized to run across a wide range of PC setups.

Sounds good! DX11 and Tesselation support. Yummy. Check out these screens, the game looks fantastic IMO.

maxpayne3-2070-2560.jpg

maxpayne3-2071-2560.jpg

maxpayne3-2072-2560.jpg

Source: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...creens-and-details-including-system-spec.html

Looks a little Farcry 2 ish with the textures. The DX11 effects look minimal at the best so the console version was probably made then they added DX11 to it to say "PC version". Bleh.

Those textures are quite clearly much better than what a console could handle. The edges of the gun are all rounded and smooth, it's either a very high poly model or nicely tessellated.

I've been playing FC2 the other day I can assure you it looks much better than fc2.

I don't know what you were expecting out of a multiplat game. The fact they even bothered to optimize for PC graphics at all, let alone to that extent, is impressive. Most ports do not change at all.

Plus it is rage engine.. hopefully everything learnt from modding GTA4 will be transferable :)

You obviously didn't get what I meant by "textures wise".

Also, just because they bumped up the texture resolution doesn't mean anything. Look at Metro2033 or Crysis 2. Both run on the 360 and both are DX11 on the PC and look much better.

Well it does, it means the textures are better :p I don't really get your point about Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. Whats that do with anything ? those two games look a lot better than the console version I agree. MP3 also looks a lot better than the console version, so what is your point ?

Means it can still be a console port while they simply bump the res up a bit on the textures and call it something completely NOT a console port. I don't buy it.

Well technically yes, they probably started it on console for the first 6 months, then put it on the pc and developed it alongside the console version for the rest of the development. But that doesn't mean it is bad. Just because it is ported from console does not mean in anyway it can't be really well developed for PC. For a start, RAGE engine has only made GTA4 and RDR so far, both clearly console games - so it will not of supported DX11. Max Payne 3 does support DX11, which means they must of spent some considerable time even implementing DX11 into the engine specially for PC before they even did anything else. It would seem illogical to do that, and then not optimise it for PC hardware, such as large amounts of ram and PC type processors.

Further, you can't properly implement tessellation on a whim at the end of producing a game. Certain considerations have to be made when creating models and assets for the game. This is further evidence that the PC version has atleast been in development in conjunction with the console version for a good amount of time.

So in the end it depends what you define a port as. If port means to you the PC version is made upon the console version as a base, then you are probably correct. To me, a port is when you run a game to find it has little to no graphics options, the controls don't work properly, and it looks and runs like crap. The next level up is a few graphics options and better control configurations, but ultimately it still feels like a console game and doesn't run as well as it should, if you have ever played GTA4 PC this is where that game stands. And then there are ports which use the console as a base model, add entirely new PC features, many graphics options, a proper control scheme, appropriate performance etc - it sounds to me like this is where the PC version of MP3 stands from what they have said.

I think you will find 99% of multiplats are going to be a port of some form. Even BF3 with the PC being lead, still had an interface which is undeniably meant for a console.

Well technically yes, they probably started it on console for the first 6 months, then put it on the pc and developed it alongside the console version for the rest of the development. But that doesn't mean it is bad. Just because it is ported from console does not mean in anyway it can't be really well developed for PC. For a start, RAGE engine has only made GTA4 and RDR so far, both clearly console games - so it will not of supported DX11. Max Payne 3 does support DX11, which means they must of spent some considerable time even implementing DX11 into the engine specially for PC before they even did anything else. It would seem illogical to do that, and then not optimise it for PC hardware, such as large amounts of ram and PC type processors.
We have no way of actually seeing if the game supports DX11 or not. There is no way we can possibly prove to ourselves (rather me) that they aren't just saying "DX11 Tessellation" to make guys like me happy. Since it was originally a console port and DX9 engine, it makes me believe from the start this is the case.

Further, you can't properly implement tessellation on a whim at the end of producing a game. Certain considerations have to be made when creating models and assets for the game. This is further evidence that the PC version has atleast been in development in conjunction with the console version for a good amount of time.
You can. Crysis 2 very obviously was a console port in very much DX9 fasion. They added shoddy tessellation in a few months and called it a day. Obviously a very rushed game ta boot.

So in the end it depends what you define a port as. If port means to you the PC version is made upon the console version as a base, then you are probably correct. To me, a port is when you run a game to find it has little to no graphics options, the controls don't work properly, and it looks and runs like crap. The next level up is a few graphics options and better control configurations, but ultimately it still feels like a console game and doesn't run as well as it should, if you have ever played GTA4 PC this is where that game stands. And then there are ports which use the console as a base model, add entirely new PC features, many graphics options, a proper control scheme, appropriate performance etc - it sounds to me like this is where the PC version of MP3 stands from what they have said.
I consider everything and anything a console port if it is on the current gen consoles. Why? Because games like CoD, Skyrim, and other AAA titles prove so. They make it for the consoles first to make sure they will run "fine" on them, then port to the PC and change a few things to make us happy. Activision doesn't even do that.

I think you will find 99% of multiplats are going to be a port of some form. Even BF3 with the PC being lead, still had an interface which is undeniably meant for a console.
The way Battlelog works makes it obvious Dice had a separate team for the PC. A retarded separate team. The interface inside the game is made to be just as simple as BF2. Makes the game easier to get in to since playing it is a tad difficult in multiplayer to get started.

PP, what you say is going to be true of 95% of games. You'd be a happier person if you would just accept it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom