This makes me angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no thin line. It's a flippin HUGE line.

Without modders you would not have games like Counter Strike. Without hackers you wouldn't have cheating. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Hackers do not edit game files so much, they create files external to the game which usually get injected into the executable file when the game is launched, there are various methods however. The large majority of Hackers do not even create anything, they go to some lame site, pay $5 and download these hacks.

Modders change things, they change things and make them publicly available (usually) or just for themselfs, such as new skins and weapon models. This is called Modifying files to enhance\change gameplay.

Hackers create external applications to alter memory adress's within the game, to change statistics and data that effects the ingame Player so they have an unfair advantage over everyone else. This can be as simple in some peoples eyes as have a larger FOV, making smoke totally seethrough, etc.

There is a large line between the two.

I tell you what, go tell a Modder he is a hacker. His reaction will indicate the huge difference between the two.

What you are saying is like saying a Terrorist is the same a US/British Soldier because they both Kill people. Just no.

Terrorists use fear to get what they want. (Evil)
US/British Soldiers protect there country. (Good)

Modders give to the community (good)
hackers only benefit themselves (bad)

Modder does both. He becomes a hacker(bad) . And for some reason we are ok with this?
In terms of only modders and hackers isn't that the line?

Im just trying figure this out man. Most hackers do do what you say, I agree, but when they do both there just labled hacker? I would not like to one day become a well known modder and have the respect of a community and one day I use one of my mods for my own benefit and be labled a hacker and lose all respect because people thought there is only one "huge" clear cut difference between the two.

On topic:
How can anyone be happy that a good feature like modding and dedicated server be removed from a platform? He's just a selfish pricke who is jealous that his console has been limited by it's simplistically (which is what consoles were designed for!!) where as those on the PC who deal with the more complex platform get to enjoy more customization. Features should be added not taken away. If they are so worried about leveling the playing field why don't they just improve all platforms (instead of vandalizing one to be flush with the others) or just make it on one platform?

Off topic:
Yes, modders and hackers both modify the game from standard version, but they are not the same thing, there is no line. Their methods are different and their intentions are different as already stated in this thread. To say there is a fine line between the two implies that one can do the other. There are several problems with this:

Most hackers do not create the code/programs themselves, they just know how to run it. Most modders don't even touch the game code, most are mappers, modelers, and skinners. The few modders that actually create their own gamemode/gameplay create a system where the player's abilities are by design for the entire game. A hacker writes code that can be injected into the system that mostly modifies memory addresses and uses this to break the design to gain advantage or to vandalize.

Anyone who plays a mod does so willingly, a hacker modifies an established game without the consent of participating players in the spirit of selfishness or griefing. Mods are made to provide other options than just what the developer puts into a product and this is why they are seen as contributors to a community. Hackers are the vandals and parasites (gaining something at the expense of others) to a community.

Terrorists use fear to get what they want. (Evil)
US/British Soldiers protect there country. (Good)

Modders give to the community (good)
hackers only benefit themselves (bad)

Modder does both. He becomes a hacker(bad) . And for some reason we are ok with this?
In terms of only modders and hackers isn't that the line?

Im just trying figure this out man. Most hackers do do what you say, I agree, but when they do both there just labled hacker? I would not like to one day become a well known modder and have the respect of a community and one day I use one of my mods for my own benefit and be labled a hacker and lose all respect because people thought there is only one "huge" clear cut difference between the two.

I know you are trying to figure it out, not a problem with that. But they are totally different. Yes, a hacker is capable of being a modder and a modder is capable of being a hacker in some circumstances, but they are not the same.

I know you are trying to figure it out, not a problem with that. But they are totally different. Yes, a hacker is capable of being a modder and a modder is capable of being a hacker in some circumstances, but they are not the same.

Couldn't have put it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom