The Lord of The Rings: Battle For Middle Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
For anyone who doesnt like to read lengthy reviews, I will just said its a "Two Thumbs Up" and an A++ .

Well this game is obviously based on the LOTR movies, and it follows directley their paths.

To start with...this is the only problem I have with the game...you HAVE to follow the path of the fellowship regardless (although skirmish modes are available.)

RACES:

Gondor: Played in the latter part of the good campaign, they have alot of good units and constructions. Their rangers are capable of both archery and swordsmanship. They also have mounted knights which help when charging the enemy.

Rohan: Played in the early part of the good campaign. They have mounted units with spears, mounted archers and foot archers. As well as some of the best heros in the game. You can also play defending Helms Deep.

Mordor: You have the ability to play as the bad guys in a bad guy campaign (duh), well these guys can pump out orcs like no other...almost pathetic. Although they can easily be trampled by the mounted units of the good side. They can also create extremley annoying big trolls which are really powerful.

Isengard: The Uruk-Hai, strong and plentiful they are fun to fight. You also get to fight them controling ents (woop woop). They are pretty much very similar except by look as the mordor.

GRAPHICS:
Nothing to complain about here, now I know they arent the best of the best but it is a big strategy game and the rendering would cause all out pain on most computers. There are alot of cool little effects in the game as well.

SOUND:
By far the best sound of any strategy game out there right now, exellent and superb. It changes to each area you go ex: water, the sound of water splashing is made. Things like that. You can also get surround sound running too, if you have some speakers to do the job.

GAMEPLAY:
Well, I think that you might want to make sure that you like the Lord of the Rings before you get deep into the gameplay, the fact is some of the stuff is the same time and time again. You attack a province and go into battle. Although this game is more centered on fighting, your resources are just farms that make money for you, and each enemy kill you get, gives you money. Each unit comes in a group of 4 to start with, then as they gain rank they get a banner and a guy holding it with a sword. There are also special abilities that you can do as you get points for won battles ex: summon elves or Rohan Riders.

I havent even touched the multiplayer portion of the game, there is also a skirmish mode that I havent looked into yet. However I will be looking into those things soon.

Very good game and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the trilogy.

My hand hurts...

I loved Lord of the Rings but I am a little skeptical of games based off of movies. Most of the time, they are a bit "cheesy" with the exception of Goldeneye for N64 and the Star Wars games.

why does it blank it out when you type rid****? anyways, i agree with bee on the cheesy movie games issue.. but this one.. could be different..

*edit* oic, ridd to the ick, w00t! eat that TF!

I agree with your review, though its not an A++....A++ should be left for super games like HL2, IMO

The game can be hard to pick up and play, but i find once you do it is enthralling................

I also wasn't particulary impressed with the games fugly rendered cutscenes....... Usually they try to spruce these up abit with eye candy, but the cutscenes actually look worse then the actual game:eek: Also the character models are so 2000, and under developed:rolleyes:

I have gotten to Helm's Deep so far, which is a real pain in the ass to beat:( I am stuck there and haven't touched the game since my first few tries at beating it:confused:

Have you beaten Helm's Deep GameGuru? I was wondering how many waves of baddies came? I think I have gotten to the 4th and then brought in the Rohan riders, but they get freakin slaughtered:angry: A troop of 60 riders, 20 archers and Gandalf and they get butchered within minutes:eek: I was thinking that I should hold off the riders until after the 4th wave if its the last and then bring them in to destroy the camps:confused: I can hold off the waves easily by building gobs of farms, stocking up on archers, ranking them up and putting everything I have up at the top of the castle..... That way the enemy have to file in the one hallway for the archers and I can trounce many with the heros;) Thats not the hard part, the hard part is not having my riders slaughtered to death.........

Yeah I agree with some of the graphics stuff.

Well, I have beaten that Helms Deep. Im still not sure how I did it, because of the Uruk Hai and forged blades cutting my troops up. I did it on the firs try, got flaming arrows and closed all of the gates, and somehow managed to trap the smelly orcs and gave em 30 troops worth of flaming arrows.

I destroyed the camps righ off the bat and then killed the rest of the orcs.

Thats about what I did. haha.

GameGURU said:
Yeah I agree with some of the graphics stuff.

Well, I have beaten that Helms Deep. Im still not sure how I did it, because of the Uruk Hai and forged blades cutting my troops up. I did it on the firs try, got flaming arrows and closed all of the gates, and somehow managed to trap the smelly orcs and gave em 30 troops worth of flaming arrows.

I destroyed the camps righ off the bat and then killed the rest of the orcs.

Thats about what I did. haha.

Liar:mad: :D I keep hearing how easy it is like you, but it can't be!!!:p :D And how did you get troops of archers?
I think I had 18 at best and that was maxed out? Are you using a increased population cap, if so I wanna know for...theoretical reasons?:p

Well, I buit an archery range behind the wall and trained a bunch of elves, then pumped them out left and right to do as much damage to the orcs that got over the walls. Then placed a bunch of archers with flames that were really experienced on the wall above the firs floor thing and camped there haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom