Looking for Gaming Headset Recommnedations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: HPA2 5.1 Surround Sound Headset

Well, live and learn, they say.

The HPA2 headset arrived, and I couldn't wait to put it into action. Wearing full, around-the-ear headphones was strange after years of using lighter weight "ear bud" style headphones. The physical pressure did take some getting used to. Its just different from what I've been used to, the same way ear buds were odd the first time I tried them...

The HPA2 headphones are an 8-driver 5.1 surround sound headphone system. There are 3 "full-range" drivers in each ear cup, arranged in front/middle/rear pairs, and one "subwoofer" in each ear cup. There is a (cheap plastic) control module with the following knobs: Front/surround/center/Subwoofer with a master volume knob. This knob also turns off the unit. A blue LED lets you know if the unit is powered on or not- handy.

The HPA2 comes with a power module to power the headphones, and a single cable lead from the headphones, to the control module, to a proprietary connector. The connector wire then sprouts all the leads- Center/surround, front and rear, and the jack for the power plug.

It also comes with splitter cables; you can plug this into your sound card, then plug in your regular speakers and your headphones into the leads. This allows you to use either without having to plug/unplug anything from the back of the PC. I found this perfectly serviceable. I simply turn off my speakers when I want to use the 'phones, and vice-versa.

Lastly, there is a detachable microphone on a metal "gooseneck" stalk. You plug it in, twist to lock it, and it works great. Its never in my way, I can position it where I want or remove it, and the sound quality seems to be fine- no complaints from fellow players.

Quick summation after 2 weeks of frequent use:

1) They are comfortable. Once you're used to the feeling, you forget they're there. They are not weightless, I'm just saying they don't bug me.

2) The directional sound DOES help. Once I got the levels right and integrated with my sound, I'm pretty satisfied with the pretty clear directionality.

3) The 'phones are not sealed- sound can leak in from your environment, and people nearby can hear what's being played through the 'phones. That being said, with my speakers turned up everyone on the second floor has to listen to my game, but with the headphones people in the very next room are not disturbed.

4) Bass is an issue to talk about- here is what I've discovered on my own:
a- The headphones route bass input into the "subwoofer" from ALL channels.
b- when you test the "subwoofer" through windows tests, it will sound almost non-existent; this is because you're only sending an input to one quarter (one third?) of its inputs- one quarter volume is generated. But since the bass signals are routed from ALL the channels, when a loud sound is played in more than one channel- say a grenade blowing up to your left- you get full volume, reasonable bass.

It took me a while to get used to this set up- I'm used to always having good bass when I expect it. So I wouldn't, for example, use these 'phones for music listening. However, in a surround-gaming or movie environment, I think they're first rate.

I have to admit, though, I could spend an equal amount (or maybe a little more) and get better sound from a dedicated surround speaker system. But then I'd be keeping my whole family up till 2 am with gunfire, right?

All in all, I'm very happy with my headphones. They sound good in games (which is what I bought them for) are comfortable enough to wear for hours, and look **** nice to boot.

Update: HPA2 5.1 Surround Sound Headset

Well, live and learn, they say.

The HPA2 headset arrived, and I couldn't wait to put it into action. Wearing full, around-the-ear headphones was strange after years of using lighter weight "ear bud" style headphones. The physical pressure did take some getting used to. Its just different from what I've been used to, the same way ear buds were odd the first time I tried them...

The HPA2 headphones are an 8-driver 5.1 surround sound headphone system. There are 3 "full-range" drivers in each ear cup, arranged in front/middle/rear pairs, and one "subwoofer" in each ear cup. There is a (cheap plastic) control module with the following knobs: Front/surround/center/Subwoofer with a master volume knob. This knob also turns off the unit. A blue LED lets you know if the unit is powered on or not- handy.

The HPA2 comes with a power module to power the headphones, and a single cable lead from the headphones, to the control module, to a proprietary connector. The connector wire then sprouts all the leads- Center/surround, front and rear, and the jack for the power plug.

It also comes with splitter cables; you can plug this into your sound card, then plug in your regular speakers and your headphones into the leads. This allows you to use either without having to plug/unplug anything from the back of the PC. I found this perfectly serviceable. I simply turn off my speakers when I want to use the 'phones, and vice-versa.

Lastly, there is a detachable microphone on a metal "gooseneck" stalk. You plug it in, twist to lock it, and it works great. Its never in my way, I can position it where I want or remove it, and the sound quality seems to be fine- no complaints from fellow players.

1) They are comfortable. Once you're used to the feeling, you forget they're there. They are not weightless, I'm just saying they don't bug me.

2) The directional sound DOES help. Once I got the levels right and integrated with my sound, I'm pretty satisfied with the pretty clear directionality.

3) The 'phones are not sealed- sound can leak in from your environment, and people nearby can hear what's being played through the 'phones. That being said, with my speakers turned up everyone on the second floor has to listen to my game, but with the headphones people in the very next room are not disturbed.

a- The headphones route bass input into the "subwoofer" from ALL channels.
b- when you test the "subwoofer" through windows tests, it will sound almost non-existent; this is because you're only sending an input to one quarter (one third?) of its inputs- one quarter volume is generated. But since the bass signals are routed from ALL the channels, when a loud sound is played in more than one channel- say a grenade blowing up to your left- you get full volume, reasonable bass.

It took me a while to get used to this set up- I'm used to always having good bass when I expect it. So I wouldn't, for example, use these 'phones for music listening. However, in a surround-gaming or movie environment, I think they're first rate.

I have to admit, though, I could spend an equal amount (or maybe a little more) and get better sound from a dedicated surround speaker system. But then I'd be keeping my whole family up till 2 am with gunfire, right?

All in all, I'm very happy with my headphones. They sound good in games (which is what I bought them for) are comfortable enough to wear for hours, and look **** nice to boot.

When the HPA2 headset arrived, I couldn't wait to put it into action. Wearing full, around-the-ear headphones was strange after years of using lighter weight "ear bud" style headphones. The physical pressure did take some getting used to. Its just different from what I've been used to, the same way ear buds were odd the first time I tried them...

The HPA2 headphones are an 8-driver 5.1 surround sound headphone system. There are 3 "full-range" drivers in each ear cup, arranged in front/middle/rear pairs, and one "sub woofer" in each ear cup. There is a (cheap plastic) control module with the following knobs: Front/surround/center/Sub woofer with a master volume knob. This knob also turns off the unit. A blue LED lets you know if the unit is powered on or not- handy.

Lastly, there is a detachable microphone on a metal "goose neck" stalk. You plug it in, twist to lock it, and it works great. Its never in my way, I can position it where I want or remove it, and the sound quality seems to be fine- no complaints from fellow players.

a- The headphones route bass input into the "sub woofer" from ALL channels.
b- when you test the "sub woofer" through windows tests, it will sound almost non-existent; this is because you're only sending an input to one quarter (one third?) of its inputs- one quarter volume is generated. But since the bass signals are routed from ALL the channels, when a loud sound is played in more than one channel- say a grenade blowing up to your left- you get full volume, reasonable bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom