Looking for Gaming Headset Recommnedations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Steel

Baseband Member
Hey Y'all-

I've recently started online multi-player gaming, and loving it. And while my desktop stereo speakers are good enough for most things, I know I'm wanting a good quality, cost-effective headset (earphones plus microphone).

The problem is, there are 10,000 to choose from. I've looked at a few, and can't decide if multi-driver earphones are really worth the $$, or if a similarly priced "regular" headset would be just as good. My comparisons seem too show that, unless I spend a ton of money on a multi-driver headset, they're not worth the expense.

I'm looking specifically at 3 models-
Turtle Beach HPA(1 or 2)
Creative Labs Fatal1ty (headset)
Icemat Black Siberia

So, to all the tech savvy adults here- what I'd like to ask is this:

Do you have an opinion on these headsets?

If you use headset for FPS, what do YOU use?

Are multi-driver (usually termed "directional") units worth the extra money?

Thank you!
P.S. I said "adults" because I'm pretty sure my needs and experience won't match too well with some 14 year old kid who has only owned one set of headphones. No offense intended.

Ive found one on tiger direct, and one on new egg ranging from 12-15 dollars if your looking for cheapys. They are decent headsets and you will get what you paid for and more, the one im using currently was 16 bucks and its fine, of course i dont get the great sound of a 120 barricuda headset but still, i get what i paid for and more.

I can find you good deals from 40-50 dollars americano if you got the money to spend and ill link you up.

If you are playing CS:S and you want to hear footsteps comeing from all directions and know where make sure its surround sound headsets because it makes a huge diffrence and can mean the diffrence between getting knifed and aceing ;).

I only bought the 16 cause i'm broke :(

and then if you really got money to spend you can go 60-and up.

if you have the money this one is good, the one you showed up there

Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA Surround Sound Headset

I had a cheapy 15 dollar ligitech and they were decent, but once i got these steelsound 5H V2 off of woot.com i noticed such a big difference. the mic quality is about the same but the headphones themselves are so much better.

im thinkin about grabbing the razer barracuda. crazy expensive though heh. wonder if they sound up to par with the price. if not I might just stick to the xfx one I got free with my gpu. hurt the ears after about an hour but maybe ill get used to em. they sound pretty good. the force feedback is a bit weird but kinda fun.

Well, I ordered the Turtle Beach HPA2 at a great discount, and they should arrive this week. I'll post a review here once I've had an experience.

Also, I should add that I tried a pair of high quality stereo headphones... and they don't help in game play. They do help with sound isolation, and of course keep me from buffing my family with (for example) gunshots and grenades, but they don't work as well as the native directional sound from my (poor) PC surround sound setup. So I don't recommend stereo for improved gameplay.

Peace.

question, do u wear glasses? If so i recommend these

Newegg.com - SENNHEISER PC151 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Headset

i cant seem to find the one i have. Mine must be like an old model or something but had a lot of reviews like the one at the top if u search all headsets n most reviews.

i got these last Christmas n they suit me very well. They only crackled on me once, but fixed them n doesnt hurt my ears after wearing them for an hour or so.

Update...

should have gotten these-
Newegg.com - iCEMAT Black Siberia 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Headset

they are amazing. But GL with your purchase.

I liked the Icemat- they look awesome and got good reviews, but they're not surround sound, just stereo. For the last week I've used a good pair of stereo headphones... and they just don't work for me, so I opted to try the HPA2's. They just arrived, and I can tell you this so far:

1) They seem pretty comfortable- looking forward to trying them out for real.
2) They are NOT sound isolating- they're open ear, so they won't block out outside noise, and people nearby will be able to hear sounds from them.
3) Build quality seems pretty good, like the design.

Will do a more in depth review in a week or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom